2022 MLB Draft Discussion (Use this thread to discuss all picks, not Orioles picks)

There are no sure things. Johnson could flame out. So could Jones which brings us to Brooks Lee who probably has the highest floor.  He hit .400 on the Cape last year with wood bats and hit 4 or 6 homers. I forget.   Probably a 3B in the majors.  

41 minutes ago, LTO's said:

If they take anyone other than Collier, Holliday or Lee I'd be shocked. 

I'm warming up to the idea of Collier. A lot to like.

I have my doubts that Druw Jones will hit for premium power, especially at Oriole Park. My worry with him is that he's more of a glove first/athlete type. I'd rather draft a premium hitter with premium power, with some defensive ability (as opposed to GG defense being the leading tool). If Collier turns out to be a stud 3B who pushes Coby Mayo to the outfield or 1B, that's a great problem to have.

• Upvote 1

Last High School 70+ hit tool was a guy named Cornelius Randolph.   Went at #10 to the Phillies in 2015.  Never hit above .264 at any level of the minors (and had no defensive position, either...).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

We’re a month out and I’m guessing it’s Termarr Johnson.   He checks a lot of boxes.  He’s 5 months older than Collier for those playing the age card.  He played on the same summer league team as Green and Jones and was considered the best hitter of the three coming into this year.  He’s got plus pull power and is considered a very disciplined hitter.  He is considered very likely to be able to play 2B as a pro.  His makeup is off the charts.  

The Orioles had him workout at OPACY.   He’ll likely sign for less than Jones. 

Though he’s built differently and hits from the other side, think Mookie Betts who, coincidentally was also drafted as a 2B.

Or. Think Joe Morgan!

Mookie Betts and Joe Morgan.

Seem like reasonable comps.  😉

• Haha 1

Jon Shepard thinks if the orioles spend it will be on Holliday, and underslot would be Collier.

Basically his reasoning is Holliday is the much more valuable defensive prospect if he can stick at SS, and even if he has to move - 3b is equal in value to cf defensively (as is 2b) 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mookie Betts and Joe Morgan.

Seem like reasonable comps.  😉

Haha.  Well, Druw Jones is practically on the All-star team, fields like his dad, and has one foot in HOF, so why not.

You don't like the Joe Morgan comp?   Short, solidy built 2B, who bats from the left side.    I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with that one.

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  Well, Druw Jones is practically on the All-star team, fields like his dad, and has one foot in HOF, so why not.

You don't like the Joe Morgan comp?   Short, solidy built 2B, who bats from the left side.    I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with that one.

I don't like comping any draft prospect to an inner circle hall of famer.

2 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

I'm warming up to the idea of Collier. A lot to like.

I have my doubts that Druw Jones will hit for premium power, especially at Oriole Park. My worry with him is that he's more of a glove first/athlete type. I'd rather draft a premium hitter with premium power, with some defensive ability (as opposed to GG defense being the leading tool). If Collier turns out to be a stud 3B who pushes Coby Mayo to the outfield or 1B, that's a great problem to have.

We have Westburg & Henderson at Norfolk. We need a premium SS. Mateo is great defensively but longer term…..

On 6/19/2022 at 9:18 AM, Sports Guy said:

Elias said this draft is like the Adley draft.  

With that draft, he felt there were 3 players that could be the #1 pick in a lot of drafts. 

So, if you look at that and he says he has 5 players in mind, I doubt he believes 5 guys from this draft could be the first pick in other drafts…although I guess he could mean it as a lower slot pick, ala what Pitt did last year.

But if you were to take that comment on face value, I have to think he means guys with the talent level to go 1 in other drafts.

I think Jones and Green fit that criteria.  Who else?  I don’t see Johnson because of his size, position and questionable athleticism.  I don’t see Lee or Berry.

Holliday is the other guy I could see.  Maybe Collier?

So I think he is really down to 3-4 guys, not 5-6.  He mentioned the gamesmanship of the draft, so I think some of that is in play here.

It is absolutely to the Orioles’ advantage to have the top guys thinking that the O’s don’t have a clear preference at no. 1. They don’t want their top choice thinking the O’s are so desperate to take him that they’ll pay any price.  It’s Negotiation 101.   Now, do the O’s actually have a clear preference at no. 1?   I have no idea, and we may never know.   We certainly won’t know until after the pick is made, if then.  

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa!  From May 27:

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It is absolutely to the Orioles’ advantage to have the top guys thinking that the O’s don’t have a clear preference at no. 1. They don’t want their top choice thinking the O’s are so desperate to take him that they’ll pay any price.  It’s Negotiation 101.   Now, do the O’s actually have a clear preference at no. 1?   I have no idea, and we may never know.   We certainly won’t know until after the pick is made, if then.  

That's why I think Termarr in OPACY made the news.  And maybe a message to the others who also had a workout but not headlines.  (Of course, my tin foil hat may need an adjustment as well...)