Texas or Oklahoma?

Sports Guy

There is talk that if Florida beats Bama and OK wins that Texas may stay ahead of Florida. Right, wrong or indifferent this just proves once again that we need a playoff. Only one time that I can think of (USC v. Texas) did the BCS get it right without controversy.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Oklahoma win over TT is obviously more impressive than the TT win over Texas..>That being said, it is still a loss and if you are going to say that Texas beat Ok, then you need to say that Texas lost to TT. It is still a loss.

Most importantly the UT win over Oklahoma on a neutral field is much more impressive compared to the OU home win over TT or the TT home win against UT. But all of that takes a back seat to the calendar which is not a very good way to determine things IMO.

Most importantly the UT win over Oklahoma on a neutral field is much more impressive compared to the OU home win over TT or the TT home win against UT. But all of that takes a back seat to the calendar which is not a very good way to determine things IMO.

Right...Let's say Ok beat TT back in Sept...Texas beat Ok in Oct and TT beat Texas in November.

If that had played out, then we may be talking about TT and Ok right now, with Texas being out of the equation.

Let's face it, when you lose and where you are ranked before the season starts are extremely important...and they shouldn't be.

So, when you have 3 teams, who lost to each other, I think you have to take a look at the bigger picture and the bigger picture says Oklahoma has played better down the stretch and has a better overall schedule.

Texas beat OK by 10 on a neutral field. OK scores a lot of points, but they give up a ton. They gave up 40+ to OK ST. I don't really see this as all that close of a decision. What more does Texas need to do besides beat OK without any home field advantage?

Texas beat OK by 10 on a neutral field. OK scores a lot of points, but they give up a ton. They gave up 40+ to OK ST. I don't really see this as all that close of a decision. What more does Texas need to do besides beat OK without any home field advantage?

Play a better OOC schedule.

Auburn from 2004 says hello. The BCS is just lucky that this kind of situation hasn't happened again, and to a "glitzier" team.

Yea I was waiting for the Auburn example. That was frankly a rare situation but could definitely happen again, and it's not valid this season. If there is a #1 example to cite to get rid of the BCS, the year Auburn, Okalhoma and USC all were undefeated is definitely legit.

H2h needs to be thrown out the window because, regardless of the site of the games or the outcomes, there are three teams that are all 1-1 against each other.

So, after that you need to look at the rest of the resume, and Oklahoma's is better than Texas' IMO.

That being said, it looks like it will be Florida/Oklahoma in the BCS title game which will be a throttling. Oklahoma will give up 60 pts to Florida.

I don't understand your first point whatsoever. h2h is extremely important. That should be one of the biggest factors.

But Texas still lost to TT...I don't care how it was done, it was still a loss.

You really think all of these losses are equal?

Texas:

-lost on the road

-lost on the last play of the game

-lost after playing 3 top 15 teams in a row without a bye week in between

-lost to a team that was probably playing the biggest game ever in program history and in Lubbock

Oklahoma:

-lost on a neutral field

-lost decisively

Texas Tech:

-lost in a game where they were absolutely demolished, looked outclassed on both sides of the ball, never put up a fight

How could you just toss that out? Based on h2h meetings, the pecking order is very clear. Texas, then OU, with Tech considerably behind.

Also worth noting is that the Sooners didn't play anyone worth anything on the road. Their first legit road win was this past week, a game where they gave up over 40 points, didn't take firm control until the fourth quarter, and unquestionably got a number of lucky breaks.

Lets not make it out like OU played a much tougher schedule. They didn't.

I'm curious about what part of the rest of OU's resume is better than Texas' anyway. The only things I see are:

-beating Cincinnati (at home in early September against a team that was far from impressive on the road throughout the year).

-style points

Should those really be deciding factors in determining who should play for the national championship? Moreso than the h2h results? If so, I guess we fundamentally disagree.

I don't understand your first point whatsoever. h2h is extremely important. That should be one of the biggest factors.

You really think all of these losses are equal?

Texas:

-lost on the road

-lost on the last play of the game

-lost after playing 3 top 15 teams in a row without a bye week in between

-lost to a team that was probably playing the biggest game ever in program history and in Lubbock

Oklahoma:

-lost on a neutral field

-lost decisively

Texas Tech:

-lost in a game where they were absolutely demolished, looked outclassed on both sides of the ball, never put up a fight

How could you just toss that out? Based on h2h meetings, the pecking order is very clear. Texas, then OU, with Tech considerably behind.

Also, while OU's nonconference schedule was a gauntlet while Texas scheduled cupcakes. Both schedules were incredibly similar.

Also worth noting is that those mildly impressive NoCof wins (such as Cincy) were all at home. The Sooners didn't play anyone worth anything on the road. Their first legit road win was this past week, a game where they gave up over 40 points, didn't take firm control until the fourth quarter, and unquestionably got a number of lucky breaks.

Lets not make it out like OU played a much tougher schedule. They didn't. I'm not sure what part of the rest of OU's resume is better than Texas'.

I have already addressed this..No, losses are not created equal....But again, you can not say, well Texas beat Ok and not bring up the idea that Texas lost to TT...You can't ignore the other side of the equation.

I have already addressed this..No, losses are not created equal....But again, you can not say, well Texas beat Ok and not bring up the idea that Texas lost to TT...You can't ignore the other side of the equation.

Who isn't looking at the other side of the equation? I outlined the situation in which each of the three teams lost.

You seem to be implying that:

Texas' loss = Oklahoma's loss

The point of my list in my previous post was to show that:

Texas' loss < Oklahoma's loss

(i.e Texas' loss should be considered less significant, less damaging, more understandable)

I'm looking at both sides of the equation, and to me, the correct answer is Texas.

But Texas still lost to TT...I don't care how it was done, it was still a loss.

You can't say Texas beat Ok, so Texas should be in while totally ignoring the idea that TT beat Texas.

It should the whole body of work and the edge there goes to Oklahoma.

Of course you can say that considering UT and OU are extremely close in the rankings while Tech is down far enough to not really be considered in this, and yes, it does matter how much they lost to OU by and how they beat UT by.

In fact the point margin is a big reason why OU and Florida are so high in the rankings, and I believe you go along with that line of thinking.

Plus it matters where the 3 games were played, UT would very likely be undefeated if they had Tech at home.

I don't think the whole body of work is that much of an edge for OU to put them in over a team that beat them, and in conference, which this is about, OU's body of work isn't better at all imo since UT played Missouri while OU did not.

Who isn't looking at the other side of the equation? I outlined the situation in which each of the three teams lost.

You seem to be implying that:

Texas' loss = Oklahoma's loss

The point of my list in my previous post was to show that:

Texas' loss < Oklahoma's loss

(i.e Texas' loss should be considered less significant, less damaging, more understandable)

I'm looking at both sides of the equation, and to me, the correct answer is Texas.

What I am implying is simple....

You can't say Texas should be above OK because Texas beat them while ignoring the fact that TT beat Texas.

It is a big circle.

All I am saying is that since there is a third team involved here, one that beat one of those teams, that the entire body of work should be the determing factor and IMO, Oklahoma has the edge there.

Let's not forget that Oklahoma lost arguably its best defensive player in the Texas game and after he was hurt, Texas scored more often.

What I am implying is simple....

You can't say Texas should be above OK because Texas beat them while ignoring the fact that TT beat Texas.

It is a big circle.

All I am saying is that since there is a third team involved here, one that beat one of those teams, that the entire body of work should be the determing factor and IMO, Oklahoma has the edge there.

Let's not forget that Oklahoma lost arguably its best defensive player in the Texas game and after he was hurt, Texas scored more often.

Let me throw something else into the debate... Can anyone make a case for why UF at this point is worthy of a higher ranking than UT or OU other than style points? Until they beat Alabama their resume includes their big wins being against teams that were highly overrated. They are being carried by the SEC's reputation.

Let me throw something else into the debate... Can anyone make a case for why UF at this point is worthy of a higher ranking than UT or OU other than style points? Until they beat Alabama their resume includes their big wins being against teams that were highly overrated. They are being carried by the SEC's reputation.

Style points is also why their above USC imo.

Archived