Final Call: Who do the O's protect from the Rule 5 draft?

wildcard

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

I can see Neustrom, Vespi, Sedlock, and Peralta all possibly taken. 

If you are going to hold onto Gillaspie due to his “stuff” how do you not protect Peralta?

Their small potatoes. Elias only has 40 spots so a few have to be unprotected. If another team wants to draft those guys, more power to them. 

19 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I can see Neustrom, Vespi, Sedlock, and Peralta all possibly taken. 

If you are going to hold onto Gillaspie due to his “stuff” how do you not protect Peralta?

So there were 16 players taken not by the O’s in 2020. You really think 25% of the rule 5 draft will be from our system?  Look how many other teams couldn’t protect org top 30 players because they are actually trying to win and therefore hamstrung with that when it comes to the 40 man. 

We have this debate every year. Who ever we ever lost? Zach Pop. Am I missing anyone else? Losing Ji Man Choi and Yermin Mercedes in the milb portion of the Rule 5 hurt more. Lol

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So there were 16 players taken not by the O’s in 2020. You really think 25% of the rule 5 draft will be from our system?  Look how many other teams couldn’t protect org top 30 players because they are actually trying to win and therefore hamstrung with that when it comes to the 40 man. 

We have this debate every year. Who ever we ever lost? Zach Pop. Am I missing anyone else? Losing Ji Man Choi and Yermin Mercedes in the milb portion of the Rule 5 hurt more. Lol

I guess I should rephrase that.  I do not expect all of them to be taken.  That's not going to happen. I think it's a possibility that any one of them can be taken though and there are others on the 40 I would prefer to drop. 

20 hours ago, ChuckS said:

I guess I should rephrase that.  I do not expect all of them to be taken.  That's not going to happen. I think it's a possibility that any one of them can be taken though and there are others on the 40 I would prefer to drop. 

It is hard to project, for sure. I could see any/all of them going, or none. Who really thought Fenter would have been picked last year? 

There are two, in particular, that I think might be selected. Vespi, despite his mediocre velo, seems like he might be gone. That slider looks pretty good. With the strange decline of Paul Fry, I am a little surprised he was left unprotected and Fry is still here. 

Neustrom, would not be a typical pick, but a LH power bat with AAA experience might be something a NL team grabs to help with their DH and part time corner OF. He made strides this year and I think there is more upside there. Might be a bit of a late bloomer. After reading Tony’s thoughts on him, which surprised me a bit, I am less concerned. For me, he looked like a tick below average as a defender, but I had limited looks at his video. If he is in the realm of DJ as a defender, he would be no big loss, if he is even picked. But that LH power still intrigues me.

The Orioles are in a good spot when they may lose talent in the R5. Next season will be much tougher, though I would expect Elias to be trading some of the excess to maintain the value in the organization. 

4 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

It is hard to project, for sure. I could see any/all of them going, or none. Who really thought Fenter would have been picked last year? 

There are two, in particular, that I think might be selected. Vespi, despite his mediocre velo, seems like he might be gone. That slider looks pretty good. With the strange decline of Paul Fry, I am a little surprised he was left unprotected and Fry is still here. 

Neustrom, would not be a typical pick, but a LH power bat with AAA experience might be something a NL team grabs to help with their DH and part time corner OF. He made strides this year and I think there is more upside there. Might be a bit of a late bloomer. After reading Tony’s thoughts on him, which surprised me a bit, I am less concerned. For me, he looked like a tick below average as a defender, but I had limited looks at his video. If he is in the realm of DJ as a defender, he would be no big loss, if he is even picked. But that LH power still intrigues me.

The Orioles are in a good spot when they may lose talent in the R5. Next season will be much tougher, though I would expect Elias to be trading some of the excess to maintain the value in the organization. 

For me it's Peralta, Sedlock, Neustrom, and Vespi for order of likelihood of being picked with the first two significantly more likely than the last two.  Peralta and Sedlock both have the stuff to potentially be dominant multi-inning relievers. I'm not sure about the demand for a platoon outfielder with average at best defense or a middle reliever that can barely crack 90 MPH. 

What's frustrating for me is that Peralta was never tried in a bullpen role before being exposed.  They thought enough of him to keep trying him as a starter but not willing to protect him over some others, it doesn't quite add up.  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

For me it's Peralta, Sedlock, Neustrom, and Vespi for order of likelihood of being picked with the first two significantly more likely than the last two.  Peralta and Sedlock both have the stuff to potentially be dominant multi-inning relievers. I'm not sure about the demand for a platoon outfielder with average at best defense or a middle reliever that can barely crack 90 MPH. 

What's frustrating for me is that Peralta was never tried in a bullpen role before being exposed.  They thought enough of him to keep trying him as a starter but not willing to protect him over some others, it doesn't quite add up.  

That’s fine. I think our differing takes is the similar to how these players are seen in the industry. Scouts have differing opinions too. All it takes is for one scout to really like the guy and he can be taken.

Richard Bleier throws with less velo than Vespi, just for one example. And Yaz is a platoon OF for San Francisco that they traded next to nothing for, just to name one everyone knows. 

Peralta has some good stuff, but the command is pretty rough. Sedlock might be a fifth starter/back end pen candidate for some team, and the change up looked like a good pitch for him. But he looked kinda ordinary for the most part to me. Some other team may see something and take them and turn them into useful assets. So be it.