Reminder that our comp pick is after Round 1 in 2022

I cannot vouch for this website but it says we won't be getting a competitive balance pick in 2022:

" ... The Baltimore Orioles and Miami Marlins did not earn CBDP as a result of not meeting exporting requirements."

A quick check shows that competitive balance picks were announced in early December last year so take this with a grain of salt ....

25 minutes ago, olddogger said:

I cannot vouch for this website but it says we won't be getting a competitive balance pick in 2022:

" ... The Baltimore Orioles and Miami Marlins did not earn CBDP as a result of not meeting exporting requirements."

A quick check shows that competitive balance picks were announced in early December last year so take this with a grain of salt ....

What are “exporting requirements?”

15 hours ago, olddogger said:

So this looks like an OOTP sim website, and doesn't appear to reflect the real world MLB draft, just from my initial perusal.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Absltgreek said:

So this looks like an OOTP sim website, and doesn't appear to reflect the real world MLB draft, just from my initial perusal.

Well, there's a theory out there that the entire universe is some sort of simulation, so who's to say what's real anymore?

• Haha 1

Would love to see Elias be able to get his guy at #1 with savings on the slot (a la Carlos Correa) to then be able to go really big overslot at this pick for one of the HS pitchers. Something like Elijah Green or Druw Jones at ~1-1.5M underslot at #1 and ~500K underslot total in the later rounds in order to be able to make this competitve balance pick something like ~3.5-4M (vs. ~2.5M slot value), similar to the ~14th/15th pick. Purpose being to get a top-10ish talent who scares team off due to signability concerns. That could be a Brock Porter, Dylan Lesko, Jackson Ferris, etc. depending who sets themselves apart.

54 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Would love to see Elias be able to get his guy at #1 with savings on the slot (a la Carlos Correa) to then be able to go really big overslot at this pick for one of the HS pitchers. Something like Elijah Green or Druw Jones at ~1-1.5M underslot at #1 and ~500K underslot total in the later rounds in order to be able to make this competitve balance pick something like ~3.5-4M (vs. ~2.5M slot value), similar to the ~14th/15th pick. Purpose being to get a top-10ish talent who scares team off due to signability concerns. That could be a Brock Porter, Dylan Lesko, Jackson Ferris, etc. depending who sets themselves apart.

I don’t see how the math on that would work.   Slot for a top 10ish talent is at least $4.7 mm.   If teams with those picks are scared off by signability concerns, that means the player wants at least that amount, maybe more.   So how can you sign your 1:1 for let’s say $7.4 mm ($1 mm under 2021 slot) and your 1S for $4.7 mm, and get any other decent talent?  Based on last year’s numbers, that would leave only $2.1 mm for the 8 remaining picks, who’d have a combined slot value of about $4.92 mm. We’d have to be picking underslots in pretty much every spot in rounds 2-10 to do that.   That seems very contrary to Elias’ philosophy.   

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t see how the math on that would work.   Slot for a top 10ish talent is at least $4.7 mm.   If teams with those picks are scared off by signability concerns, that means the player wants at least that amount, maybe more.   So how can you sign your 1:1 for let’s say $7.4 mm ($1 mm under 2021 slot) and your 1S for $4.7 mm, and get any other decent talent?  Based on last year’s numbers, that would leave only $2.1 mm for the 8 remaining picks, who’d have a combined slot value of about $4.92 mm. We’d have to be picking underslots in pretty much every spot in rounds 2-10 to do that.   That seems very contrary to Elias’ philosophy.   

Perhaps he’s advocating for something like what the Pirates did last year, load up heavy in the first 4 rounds with overslot picks using some slot savings from the first pick.

https://pirates.pittsburghbaseball.com/2021draft/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 10:51 PM, olddogger said:

I have no  idea what is meant by "exporting requirements".

Google has been unhelpful in providing any insight as to how this term applies to MLB.

Maybe they were focused too much on the importing and not enough on the exporting. It’s a balance when you’re an importer/exporter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1