Some Intriguing prospects up for Rule 5 grabs (in my opinion):

DocJJ

5 hours ago, scOtt said:

To you and all the rest, we DON'T need a C in the Rule V. What we need is a CHEAP FA, grisled old veteran like Caleb Joseph (but not NOW, not at his age...) to help teach Adley the ropes of being a ML C.

Hard to argue this point. Maybe a cheap veteran and a rule 5 C and just play it by ear. Manea looks pretty good from the OP post i think.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s what I do.   Though we did take Martin in 2018, and he was at the top of the MLB.com list.   

Garrett Whitlock was all over the lists I read and he had an outstanding year for Boston, too. It's hard to complain about the results from last year, but getting him and Wells in the Rule 5 would have been awesome.

1 hour ago, luismatos4prez said:

Some interesting guys there, though I can't imagine Mike would take a catcher.

Last year before the Rule 5 draft, I read a lot of articles that detailed the best prospects available. I don't think Sceroler or Wells were even mentioned. It's very unpredictable. This year, I think I'll just wait and see who Mike takes and then look them up.

What fun is that?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, oriole said:

Hard to argue this point. Maybe a cheap veteran and a rule 5 C and just play it by ear. Manea looks pretty good from the OP post i think.

Roch mentioned University of Arizona’s Daniel Susac and Georgia Tech's Kevin Parada this morning. Both switch hitters with big potential upside. Can't really see either of them to only to back up Adley...

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=susac-000dan

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=parada000kev

But then again... best player available. :noidea:

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-eligible-prospects-on-40-man-rosters?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Jonathan Mayo has updated his piece with the results.

The Guardians squeeze resulted in no musical chair for Aaron Bracho 4.24.2001, the top bonus at $1.5M from Cleveland's 2017 IFA class.

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/indians/aaron-bracho-677570

But Bracho was bad in the low minors, so would be waaay worse than Santander who at least was very good in the low minors before getting time-warped to the show.  The Dodgers Last Man out shortstop had a better year in A ball.   

Among other names I vaguely recognize, the Pirates Cal Mitchell I notice partly for being a Cal, and had an okay AA year.   Tirso Ornelas was a buzzy 17-year-old in 2017 but talk about peaking early.   The Cardinals Delvin Perez was a 1st round prep shortstop...that's not what you want five years later.

The Rays catcher Blake Hunt 11.10.1998 got the normal amount of Raysian hosannas when he was a piece in the Snell trade, and got a taste of AA.   He was a high school overslot 2nd rounder ($1.6M) back in 2017 and hasn't run off the rails as badly as Bracho.

The Jays "No. 6" infielder Miguel Hiraldo looks to take the prize for "biggest inefficiency" in MLB.com's guesses/lists.   We'll see in a few years if Vlad grows as lonesome as Soto is now, but Moreno/Orelvis/Groshans maybe last guys to hop on to the train with Manoah before this roster core gets older and very expensive.   

Just on this first skim, knowing the Rays roster is always saturated and they just enjoyed nice Zunino/Mejia seasons, Hunt is one that catches my eye early.

I think a pitcher is easier to claim and keep. No need to have him out there everyday. You can more easily stash him in the pen and only come in for non-pressure situations, eating up innings. Lord knows we needed that this year. Many times the game was out of hand. The problem with a lack of starters is the option becomes really important. Let's see what happens.

I definitely like the idea of taking one of the rule 5 catchers. They would be with a non roster signee vet to begin the year. Then when AR comes up they are the primary backup with AR playing a lot. Then when our true run begins in 2023+ we be super cheap, and super young, at catcher for a long time. Perfect situation. 

I also like the idea of grabbing two high ceiling arms and seeing if one sticks considering how thin we are with pitching. 

Overall, we’re not competing in 2022. We don’t have a 40 man crunch yet. With a 26 man roster we could take two draft and stash types just to add to our core in the future. 

What about this guy? Could we stash him on IL all year?

Red Sox: Thaddeus Ward, RHP (No. 20)
Ward made only two Double-A starts before he needed Tommy John surgery this summer. The procedure is likely to force him out for much of 2022, and even then, he’ll be on a tight limit as he builds back to a starter’s workload. On paper, that might scare away Rule 5 teams and make Boston feel comfortable leaving Ward off the 40-man for now. But as noted, some clubs are willing to roll the dice on stashing injured pitchers on the IL and even carrying their Rule 5 status into a second season if need be. Ward has an above-average fastball and plus slider that could help him in a Major League bullpen when healthy.

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I think a pitcher is easier to claim and keep. No need to have him out there everyday. You can more easily stash him in the pen and only come in for non-pressure situations, eating up innings. Lord knows we needed that this year. Many times the game was out of hand. The problem with a lack of starters is the option becomes really important. Let's see what happens.

We could easily stash a catcher and the OF from the Sox. Catcher wise we lose nothing. AR is the only one on the 40 man now. OF wise we have impending trades of Santander and Mancini. McKenna could always go to AAA. The Res Sox OF could fill the McKenna role and then we have another high upside piece for the future. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We could easily stash a catcher and the OF from the Sox. Catcher wise we lose nothing. AR is the only one on the 40 man now. OF wise we have impending trades of Santander and Mancini. McKenna could always go to AAA. The Res Sox OF could fill the McKenna role and then we have another high upside piece for the future. 

Adley isn't on the 40 man roster.