I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No way teams are rushing to sign these deals after the last few offseasons without the idea that the new CBA is going to be more player friendly.

I'm waiting for the O's to be on the outside looking in because they were too risk adverse.

Would be the Orioles Way to try and build almost solely around draft picks only to have the main advantages of the current system change under them.

Aren’t all new CBAs more employee friendly, unless negotiated under dire financial conditions for the company? I’ve seen nothing to suggest a complete overhaul of the current system. Some tweaks to service time and keep sharing in prosperity with a slightly bigger piece to the players. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No way teams are rushing to sign these deals after the last few offseasons without the idea that the new CBA is going to be more player friendly.

I'm waiting for the O's to be on the outside looking in because they were too risk adverse.

Would be the Orioles Way to try and build almost solely around draft picks only to have the main advantages of the current system change under them.

Ollie's Bargain Outlet at Oriole Park at Camden Yards has a nice ring to it!

• Haha 2

Just now, waroriole said:

Aren’t all new CBAs more employee friendly, unless negotiated under dire financial conditions for the company? I’ve seen nothing to suggest a complete overhaul of the current system. Some tweaks to service time and keep sharing in prosperity with a slightly bigger piece to the players. 

No.

The NHL had one a few years back that was very owner friendly.  The last baseball one allowed ownership to claim a greater share of profits.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

The NHL had one a few years back that was very owner friendly.  The last baseball one allowed ownership to claim a greater share of profits.

Hockey has had some tough times financially. How did MLB claim more profits if there wasn’t a cap put in place?

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Hockey has had some tough times financially. How did MLB claim more profits if there wasn’t a cap put in place?

The last CBA allowed the owners to adjust their strategy in such a way that they claimed a greater share of profits.  The players went for quality of life improvements and the owners adjusted to the status quo.

Imagine spending 500M for MIers when you already have a young SS and MI historically decline in their low 30s.  

Seager can go to third but you have Jung too.  

The height of stupidity but if they can build a system and have a lot of cheap, surplus value guys around them, it can be fine for them.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The last CBA allowed the owners to adjust their strategy in such a way that they claimed a greater share of profits.  The players went for quality of life improvements and the owners adjusted to the status quo.

Aren’t the quality of life improvements something that are employee friendly?

How did they adjust their strategies? It seems they were collectively just not offering the big deals that have spring open the last 48 hours. 

Interesting quote from the Rangers at the end of the season re: AROD's contract and their current approach to signing good players to supplement their young core:

“The size of the contract that was given to Alex at the time, that wasn't so much the issue,” Daniels said at the Rangers end-of-season press conference. “It was that it was not consistent with the rest of the plan. There was not a continuing commitment to be able to build, whether that was to promote young players and develop them or to be able to add other key players externally. That didn’t really happen.

“We're not looking to solve one player to be the finishing piece. But we're looking for players that can be part of helping to turn this around and really launch us to where we want to go and also that can help our young players develop as they get up here.”

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/corey-seager-rangers-deal 

Disclaimer: I think the Seager deal was ridiculous.  It is the process that I like, not the contracts themselves.

• Upvote 1

Just now, waroriole said:

Aren’t the quality of life improvements something that are employee friendly?

How did they adjust their strategies? It seems they were collectively just not offering the big deals that have spring open the last 48 hours. 

Not offering larger deals to older vets, which of course makes perfect sense but still somehow blindsided players.  Also more blatant service time manipulation to increase team control and delay arbitration.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not offering larger deals to older vets, which of course makes perfect sense but still somehow blindsided players.  Also more blatant service time manipulation to increase team control and delay arbitration.

But that’s not part of the CBA. That’s something that the owners “for some reason all decided to do at the same time” but not collusion. 

34 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Literally half a billion dollars to the middle infield.  (325+175) - absolutely bananas.  Might bite them in the long haul, but for now, must be real fun to be a Rangers fan. 

Oh, it’s going to bite them big time I think.    And maybe sooner than you think.  However, they have a young team with a low payroll and negligible long term commitments before these two deals.  

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But that’s not part of the CBA. That’s something that the owners “for some reason all decided to do at the same time” but not collusion. 

I don't think it's fair to say that they all decided to do it at the same time.

Some owners..... were still signing guys to foolish contracts after most teams wised up.

And we know the reason, the deals weren't cost effective in the vast majority of cases.

Owners don't give Adam Jones the veteran presence deal he would have received back in the day.  Jones goes to Japan and puts up a 724 OPS in limited playing time.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The Scherzer deal is nuts.  He's still really damn good, but he's in his upper 30s and 3 years at that range is still a risk.

However, IMO, we're in an era where his age might not matter too much.  Sports medicine and training is light years from what it was 20-30 years ago.  Guys are playing better for longer.  Look no further than Tom Brady.

Scherzer has been durable...but man, 43.3 million a year is a lot, I don't care how many years it is.  

As for the Mets, desperation is a stinky cologne.  

Are we really in that era though.  Yes there is a few guys that are outliers but look at the results altogether.  There is record number of guys on injury lists in all different sports.  Lots of guys on disabled list throughout the MLB. NFL has the same issue with guys going on the IR.  The same in NBA with guys out or needing rest during the season.  I agree you may get guys returning a bit faster but the amount of injuries in sports seems to be increasing and the average age in those sports is also declining and pushing older guys out of league earlier.