I'm already over this offseason.

Moose Milligan

4 hours ago, interloper said:

Also, just want to point out that it is literally not even Thanksgiving yet.

While I doubt that Elias will make many big moves this offseason, there's still a ton of off-season left, and there's going to be a lockout in December. So you could argue the time is now to make moves, but so many other teams haven't done anything yet also. I just think it's really early to be saying the off-season is a wash. It may ultimately be that for a lot of people, but IMO no one can say that for sure just yet. 

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, homie.  Our offseason is off to a typical start for us; sitting on the sidelines, watching other teams make deals.   

I was initially going to say that it's good teams that are out and front and making offers, but that's not the case.  Like the Angels and Syndergaard....you can say what you want about that contract and that player but the Angels at least know that they need to do something.  They've got Trout, they've got Ohtani and a bad farm system.  At least they're making moves, at least they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle with a guy like Syndergaard.  

Ed-Rod to the Tigers, 5/77, are you kidding?  Come ON, we could have done that.  And the Tigers blow, but at least they're trying.

Matz to the Cardinals.  

Tampa locking up Wander.

Other teams are operating like the impending lockout is no big deal.  

Look man, I've smelled this fart before.  It smells all too familiar. 

12 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I would doubt it considering he was considerably worse in the 2nd half of the season than the 1st (.791 OPS in the 1st half and .711 OPS in the 2nd despite having a higher BABIP in the 2nd half) and looked a bit slower as the season wore on.  And I think he'd love to get one extra year in the contract - it could make a huge difference in retirement planning for his family, but I doubt the O's will be willing to give him a 2nd year  other than a team option.    

In my opinion, he was tired after recovering from chemo and then spending all last winter working back into playing shape.  He pretty such said as much on MLB TV earlier this week.   I think he’ll be stronger in the second half next year.   But that’s just my hopeful guess.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So are you saying that any FA pitcher we spend in the 4/44 range is automatically going to end up like Ubaldo and Cobb? 

I'm saying this one probably would.

And I'm not sure that any 4/44 guy is going to make the difference between us and the playoffs next season.

So hold the money until it will

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So are you saying that any FA pitcher we spend in the 4/44 range is automatically going to end up like Ubaldo and Cobb?  Seems like you're implying that two bad FA contracts in that range would mean that any FA contract in that range would automatically end up like them.

And @Sports Guyis right.  4/44 shouldn't sink practically any franchise in this day and age.

You could sign multiple of those guys and it shouldn’t sink you…at least if you run your organization properly.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, homie.  Our offseason is off to a typical start for us; sitting on the sidelines, watching other teams make deals.   

I was initially going to say that it's good teams that are out and front and making offers, but that's not the case.  Like the Angels and Syndergaard....you can say what you want about that contract and that player but the Angels at least know that they need to do something.  They've got Trout, they've got Ohtani and a bad farm system.  At least they're making moves, at least they're trying to catch lightning in a bottle with a guy like Syndergaard.  

Ed-Rod to the Tigers, 5/77, are you kidding?  Come ON, we could have done that.  And the Tigers blow, but at least they're trying.

Matz to the Cardinals.  

Tampa locking up Wander.

Or they are trying to get guys locked up before the rules break in favor of the players.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Matz to the Cardinals.  

Tampa locking up Wander.

Ed-Rod was the contract that I wish the O's had tried to beat.  And getting him early could have given the team some credibility - as an organization that was genuinely making an effort to improve.  We could certainly have beaten that 5/77 contract.  Kudos to Detroit for wasting no time and getting him so quickly.  My guess is we made zero effort whatsoever.  Granted, it's a long offseason, and opportunities will come up, but it seemed like an opportunity ready for the taking.  At least Detroit thought so.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my opinion, he was tired after recovering from chemo and then spending all last winter working back into playing shape.  He pretty such said as much on MLB TV earlier this week.   I think he’ll be stronger in the second half next year.   But that’s just my hopeful guess.

And he had the oblique injury at the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just now, Sports Guy said:

And he had the oblique injury at the end of the year.

Am I the only fan out there that wants the players on the team to ask for time off if they are so fatigued it is hurting their play or if they are injured?

Trey, no one is going to hold it against you if you take a few days off.  I'd rather you be rested and play well than be a tough guy and play poorly.

Honestly it's on the manager for not making the decision for him.

3 minutes ago, owknows said:

If you sign multiples of those guys, then you clearly are not running your organization properly

Not necessarily.  Guys get hurt.  Guys underperform.

Generally speaking, I agree that those guys aren’t usually going to perform well enough to justify the deal.

However, having professional guys who can eat innings at the back of the rotation has value as well.  If we don’t develop pitching but we do develop hitting, having guys like that could be important.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I hope you're right, but I think the decline during the season makes it unlikely.  Also, he's had only one season where he approached an .850 OPS.  

Also, I think it's highly unlikely we get anything in trade for him - looking at the 4 trades the Braves made at the deadline getting useful outfielders that contributed mightily to their WS win - none of them cost them anything of significance.

Best of luck to Trey, and I hope I'm wrong.  

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So if the Os win 68 games in 2022, you think that player makes a difference in 2023?  

The deeper we get into the restocking process, the more vet FA's will make a difference.

22? 23? 24? I don't have a crystal ball... but if you asked me when we will have enough graduating talent to take the restraints off... I'd say probably 23.

11 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Ed-Rod was the contract that I wish the O's had tried to beat.  And getting him early could have given the team some credibility - as an organization that was genuinely making an effort to improve.  We could certainly have beaten that 5/77 contract.  Kudos to Detroit for wasting no time and getting him so quickly.  My guess is we made zero effort whatsoever.  Granted, it's a long offseason, and opportunities will come up, but it seemed like an opportunity ready for the taking.  At least Detroit thought so.  

Exactly.  100%.