MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We have no one who is the steward for the game. Neither the owners or players care about the game or the fans, they care about making the most money that they can. 

I'm about to drop a bunch of money on new servers and site design only to have a sport that probably won't be playing for awhile. Why? Because of outright greed by the both sides.

Manfred is the worse commissioner in the history of the game and the Player union leads are greedy union heads who are more worried about getting themselves rich then worrying about the game and the fans. 

Since the very fact that neither sides cares about the game or fans and just thinks whenever the get things settled the fans will just be there, makes me very, very concerned that we won't see baseball until June or July.

I hope I'm wrong, but when it's early January and they don't even have scheduled talks, it show us they are no hurry to get a deal done so the season starts on time. 

First we had COVID that cost us games, and now we have greed that will cost us games.

Sadly greed and egos has been around MLB long before covid, and for the most part, COVID can be treated.

Not sure, how you fight greed. There is too damn much money to share fairly among all the parties.

15 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We have no one who is the steward for the game. Neither the owners or players care about the game or the fans, they care about making the most money that they can. 

I'm about to drop a bunch of money on new servers and site design only to have a sport that probably won't be playing for awhile. Why? Because of outright greed by the both sides.

Manfred is the worse commissioner in the history of the game and the Player union leads are greedy union heads who are more worried about getting themselves rich then worrying about the game and the fans. 

Since the very fact that neither sides cares about the game or fans and just thinks whenever the get things settled the fans will just be there, makes me very, very concerned that we won't see baseball until June or July.

I hope I'm wrong, but when it's early January and they don't even have scheduled talks, it show us they are no hurry to get a deal done so the season starts on time. 

First we had COVID that cost us games, and now we have greed that will cost us games.

Tony Clark is incompetent. And I don’t mean that to say that he is an educated or not smart. He’s incompetent to deal with the task that he has. I don’t know why he was elected to his position but it wasn’t because of his skill at performing the duties associated with it.

Manfred is also incompetent, as well as So arrogant as to be almost a caricature.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Tony Clark is incompetent. And I don’t mean that to say that he is an educated or not smart. He’s incompetent to deal with the task that he has. I don’t know why he was elected to his position but it wasn’t because of his skill at performing the duties associated with it.

Manfred is also incompetent, as well as So arrogant as to be almost a caricature.

Both Pit Bulls tho. Which is exactly why they gut their jobs.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

I am astonished that everything that’s been proposed so far doesn’t deal with the problem facing baseball. Expanding the playoffs because playoff baseball is interesting doesn’t address the problem of baseball games not being interesting. Why not make baseball interesting so that all the games are interesting and not just playoff games. And one proposal to eliminate tanking Is to give the first pick in the draft to the best of the non-playoff teams. Which is… Inexplicable is the kindest word that comes to mind.

It is ridiculous that two groups of educated people can’t even identify A problem, And that needs to happen before they can begin to discuss a solution.

If they wanted to make the game more interesting, they'd increase the amount of players on the field to 11.  Actually, you'd have the home team and the away team on the same field at the same time, each with 11 players, so 22 players in total.

Then, you'd stretch the diamond until it's a rectangle shape, 160 feet wide, 120 yards long.  

Instead of a baseball, they'd have an oblong leather ball that one team would try to advance down the field against the other team that's defending.  To do this, they could either throw the ball through the air or have someone run the ball against the defense.  And the only way you could stop that team from scoring would be to give them 4 attempts to make it past 10 yards...if they don't, they have to give the defense the ball.  

Teams would score when they've moved the ball into a designated area of 10 yards deep, 160 feet wide at the end of the field, otherwise known as an end-zone.  That's 6 points.  Then, they get a chance to kick the oblong ball through these metal posts for an additional point, or they can run another play from 2 yards out to get 2 points.  

It's a work in progress, but that's a rough idea of how it would be better.  That would be a vastly more interesting game than what they have now.  

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I wonder how much the pandemic factors into the owners owner's strategy. I suspect there be more of a hardline if there a restrictions on crowds or crowd size again.

If they can put 70000 fans into football stadiums they should have no reason not to open Baseball stadiums back up to full capacity when and if they actually play again.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If they can put 70000 fans into football stadiums they should have no reason not to open Baseball stadiums back up to full capacity when and if they actually play again.

True.  I thought about after I posted.

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

https://nypost.com/2022/01/03/ken-rosenthal-out-at-mlb-network-over-rob-manfred-criticism/

With this loser presiding over negotiations who knows how this will go. 

You can't talk bad about the Emperor. With skin this thin who knows what will happen. At the end of the day, the owners are responsible for Manfred. They voted in this tool.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Penn State and other colleges draw well over 100,000.