MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

4 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

What kind of calculus is that though?

"We can get extra picks if a player...does well in voting"

What voting, allstar, ROY, MVP?  What a load of shit.  Players that do well in voting are ones in big markets, so now big market teams just get an extra advantage of being able to bring up players earlier?  So now the media gets a say in the inherent balance of the game?

How about we just establish some WAR thresholds and be done with it.

Gotta agree with you here. Making anything based on "voting" is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, waroriole said:

Sounds like a deal is coming soon. Can’t imagine this will continue to avoid an international draft. 

I gotta wonder why the union is opposed to this? Right now, the Latin American market is saturated with corruption and most of the high ranking players reach verbal agreements at 14 years old with teams. The buscones still peddle these players at very young ages and take from what I've heard is large portions of their signing bonuses. 

A draft would get rid of these verbal agreements and underhanded dealings between the buscones and scouts and allow the teams with the best scouts to have the best chances of getting good players. 

They can institute a bonus pool of money for teams and put value on slots just like the amateur draft. 

I don't understand why the union even has a say on this since none of these players are in the union anyways until they are put on a 40-man roster. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I gotta wonder why the union is opposed to this? Right now, the Latin American market is saturated with corruption and most of the high ranking players reach verbal agreements at 14 years old with teams. The buscones still peddle these players at very young ages and take from what I've heard is large portions of their signing bonuses. 

A draft would get rid of these verbal agreements and underhanded dealings between the buscones and scouts and allow the teams with the best scouts to have the best chances of getting good players. 

They can institute a bonus pool of money for teams and put value on slots just like the amateur draft. 

I don't understand why the union even has a say on this since none of these players are in the union anyways until they are put on a 40-man roster. 

Passans interview with Papi talks about it here.

One thought is that the academies won’t matter anymore, so these kids won’t be trained properly and they don’t have the money to do it properly otherwise.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

One thought is that the academies won’t matter anymore, so these kids won’t be trained properly and they don’t have the money to do it properly otherwise.

I think it's a little overblown?  But I could be wrong.  I think it disincentivizes the individual teams from having their own scouting and training facilities, which means that teams would either need to be subsidized by MLB to continue operations, or MLB would have to centrally manage that stuff.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, while we may not like the conversation of getting rid of the shift and may not like doing it…are you really going to care?

Like, will you be sitting on your couch watching the game and think, damn I miss the shift!

No, but you know, honestly, when you frame it like that I do sit on my couch, thinking, damn I miss singles.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I wonder why they think so. The academies are what improves these players so I don't see why they think they would suddenly stop funding them.  Maybe MLB should just take over the funding of these academies that teams would just provide the staff for. The team gets to know these players closely and give them a better understanding of who to draft.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, while we may not like the conversation of getting rid of the shift and may not like doing it…are you really going to care?

Like, will you be sitting on your couch watching the game and think, damn I miss the shift!

Honestly, I hate the shift every time someone hits a routine ball where the SS would have been for a base hit of when my team's lines what should have been a single to RF only to see the 3B in shallow RF catch it for an out. 

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s the system on how things are done.  Some of the behind the scenes erroneous things that are done.

Care to provide some examples of how large market teams get guys to sign for less than they would otherwise?

I don't see it when I look at the top international guys.

On one hand you have Wander Franco, Acuna, Soto (are Nats "big market)"?

On the other hand you have Jasson putting up a 731 OPS in Rookie/Low A.

Seems to me that the current system works fine for smaller market teams willing to put in the work.

7 minutes ago, Ripken said:

So much for today.  Players looking bad to me.

Oh no, the Union is trying to look out for kids.  How dare they.

I'll give the players the benefit of the doubt.  I'm sure they know a lot more about how this would impact the kids and their families.

• Haha 2