MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

I think MLB is going to have to give up on the international draft. Which would be a huge win for the O's.

Just my completely amateur opinion.

It would have been a win for the O's back when they refused to do any work to recruit and sign players.

It shouldn't be an advantage now.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh no, the Union is trying to look out for kids.  How dare they.

They going to start making demands about High Schoolers, too?  I don't even care about the Int Draft but I see the owners moving more than the players lately.  Just make a deal.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ripken said:

They going to start making demands about High Schoolers, too?  I don't even care about the Int Draft but I see the owners moving more than the players lately.

The Union sold out High Schoolers years ago (Hard slotting and no ML contracts out of the draft).

• Upvote 1

Just now, waroriole said:

Which is why I don’t understand why the suddenly care about the international draft. 

It looks like the players from that background think it's worth fighting for.

I remember I asked Guthrie about his part when they made the changes to the Rule 4 draft.  He did reply and was polite but didn't give much of a real answer.  (Didn't Guthrie sign a ML contract out of school?)

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It looks like the players from that background think it's worth fighting for.

I remember I asked Guthrie about his part when they made the changes to the Rule 4 draft.  He did reply and was polite but didn't give much of a real answer.  (Didn't Guthrie sign a ML contract out of school?)

And yet many high profile Latino players have criticized an International Draft.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

?

I'm confused.

They are fighting to not have an International draft.

I don't know if fighting is the right word.  But they're criticizing the idea and predicting it to harm the development of players.

31 minutes ago, waroriole said:

It’s so close. Just get the thing done. 

Seeing how close they are it now seems likely there will be April baseball at least. So im relieved at this point. Might have to tack off 8 games or so from the schedule if it continues another week, which it could. 

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh no, the Union is trying to look out for kids.  How dare they.

I'll give the players the benefit of the doubt.  I'm sure they know a lot more about how this would impact the kids and their families.

I don't know if you are being serious anymore of just have become a caricature of yourself thinking that the union cares two cents about Latin kids and their families.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know if you are being serious anymore of just have become a caricature of yourself thinking that the union cares two cents about Latin kids and their families.

I think that some individual union members do care.

Now how much pull they have with the Union I have no idea.

31 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Which is why I don’t understand why the suddenly care about the international draft. 

They don't. They are using it as a negotiating tactic. Not even sure why the MLBPA has a say since these kids are not even on the 40-man. it's all just something the players are using to get more money for their constituents, the 40-man roster guys (but mainly how to get veteran players paid more).

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I wonder why they think so. The academies are what improves these players so I don't see why they think they would suddenly stop funding them.  Maybe MLB should just take over the funding of these academies that teams would just provide the staff for. The team gets to know these players closely and give them a better understanding of who to draft.

But why would the Orioles fully staff a facility then?

I think the outcome, if the MLB took it over, would essentially be to lease these facilities like the O's just built and give multiple teams space in them. The O's would become a landlord in the DR.