So, what are we going to talk about now?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't.

I think he played a significant role in the Orioles' collapse.

That’s kind of a non sequitur, isn’t it?   Even if you think he had a significant role in the Orioles’ collapse, does that mean he wasn’t trying his damnest to bring Baltimore a winner?   Did he not care about his players, or the fans?   Did he not also have a big role in their success before the collapse?

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s kind of a non sequitur, isn’t it?   Even if you think he had a significant role in the Orioles’ collapse, does that mean he wasn’t trying his damnest to bring Baltimore a winner?   Did he not care about his players, or the fans?   Did he not also have a big role in their success before the collapse?

I think he earned the ending to his career he currently has.  I'm fine with him going out on a low note.

He won some games with the Orioles but ultimately lost more than he won.

I'm sure Trembley tried his damnest to bring Baltimore a winner.

I wouldn't want Buck managing a team I was rooting for in 2022.  Would you?

He did have a heck of a year in 2012 tho.

Buck just wanted to stay with his guys as long as he could. All managers want to win today, none want to risk their job status on a rebuild if they have a choice. Buck is no different in that regard.

He had Angelos ear, which ended in some bad roster decisions.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he earned the ending to his career he currently has.  I'm fine with him going out on a low note.

He won some games with the Orioles but ultimately lost more than he won.

I'm sure Trembley tried his damnest to bring Baltimore a winner.

I wouldn't want Buck managing a team I was rooting for in 2022.  Would you?

He did have a heck of a year in 2012 tho.

I wish Trembley all the success in the world.   He’s a stand up guy.   Buck was a much better manager IMO.   

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Buck just wanted to stay with his guys as long as he could. All managers want to win today, none want to risk their job status on a rebuild if they have a choice. Buck is no different in that regard.

He had Angelos ear, which ended in some bad roster decisions.  

Buck, Adam Jones, JJ Hardy and the other mainstays wanted one last shot because they knew a rebuild would take at least 4+ years and the clock on their baseball career was ticking. 

I don't blame for trying in 2017, but by 2018 it was obvious that the Orioles had to rebuild. I don't think that is something you could have expected Buck, Duquette, Adam Jones and JJ Hardy to advocate for because they wanted to win now and not ride out a  multi-year rebuild. 

Well Duquette might have been game for a rebuild, but it was time to go a new direction with the front office. 

13 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Buck, Adam Jones, JJ Hardy and the other mainstays wanted one last shot because they knew a rebuild would take at least 4+ years and the clock on their baseball career was ticking. 

I don't blame for trying in 2017, but by 2018 it was obvious that the Orioles had to rebuild. I don't think that is something you could have expected Buck, Duquette, Adam Jones and JJ Hardy to advocate for because they wanted to win now and not ride out a  multi-year rebuild. 

Well Duquette might have been game for a rebuild, but it was time to go a new direction with the front office. 

The roster was setup in a way that it was easy for all of them to say "lets stay together for 2018". I dont know what Duquette thought of that idea, but he also probably wasnt the one in charge. 

• Upvote 1

Buck managed under a "win now" regime whose owner limited the org greatly in Latin America.  Buck also wasn't in charge of the draft.  Tough crowd that puts that much blame on Buck for the current situation.  Gonna blame him for 1999-2010 too?   The blame lies at the top with Peter Angelo's.  Period.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Buck managed under a "win now" regime whose owner limited the org greatly in Latin America.  Buck also wasn't in charge of the draft.  Tough crowd that puts that much blame on Buck for the current situation.  Gonna blame him for 1999-2010 too?   The blame lies at the top with Peter Angelo's.  Period.

True PA is what created the whole atmosphere of different guys being in charge from one year to the next. Brady I think gets unfairly blamed for his role in the demise. Its hard to say how accurate that is.  

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I not saying Buck was wholly responsible.  I just don't think he was somehow how jobbed by how his tenure here ended.  I don't think he deserves a fifth shot when other guys haven't had one.  He's got a career record of 1551-1517 as a manger.  That's solid but not exceptional.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I not saying Buck was wholly responsible.  I just don't think he was somehow how jobbed by how his tenure here ended.  I don't think he deserves a fifth shot when other guys haven't had one.  He's got a career record of 1551-1517 as a manger.  That's solid but not exceptional.

I guess some GM's prefer a known to an unknown. You know what you're getting with Buck, good and bad.  He seems like he gets the respect of his teams, knows how to manage a bullpen, and manage a game.  Snide remarks unwelcomed.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Mets apparently want someone with experience and not a new guy. Buck fits the bill there.