Chris Ellis

wildcard

Seems like players can be signed to AAA contracts and invite to camp.   I would like to see the O's do that is Chris Ellis.  He could be helpful in the rotation in April.

Ellis (29) joined the O's on August 25th and made 6 starts with an ERA of 2.49 and a 1.224 WHIP.   Elias did not think he had to include him on the 40 man roster and he began a free agent. So far Elias is right about that.

If Grayson, Bradish and Baumann begin the season at AAA, Ellis could compete with Lowther, Zimmerman, Alex Wells, Tyler Wells and Akin for the three rotation spots behind Means and Lyles.   I am not saying he would be able to do what he did in late 2021 but he may be able to help.

• Upvote 2

Those stats match what the eye test told about his good quality of starts... way better than the rest of the pretenders. So it was mystifying why he was summarily released like that. Here's hoping he gets back in the mix somehow for '22.

First of all, I’d be fine with signing Ellis to a minor league deal.   Why not?

But second, I think his 2021 major league results are highly likely to be a huge fluke.  We’re talking about a pitcher with a career 4.92 ERA in the minor leagues, 6.09 in AAA in 314 innings (admittedly, in the hitter-friendly PCL).   His xERA for the O’s was 5.44.   All the signs point to SSS fluke. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, wildcard said:

Seems like players can be signed to AAA contracts and invite to camp.   I would like to see the O's do that is Chris Ellis.  He could be helpful in the rotation in April.

Ellis (29) joined the O's on August 25th and made 6 starts with an ERA of 2.49 and a 1.224 WHIP.   Elias did not think he had to include him on the 40 man roster and he began a free agent. So far Elias is right about that.

If Grayson, Bradish and Baumann begin the season at AAA, Ellis could compete with Lowther, Zimmerman, Alex Wells, Tyler Wells and Akin for the three rotation spots behind Means and Lyles.   I am not saying he would be able to do what he did in late 2021 but he may be able to help.

Agreed.  Not the greatest K Rates, but definitely someone worth keeping around based on the lack of depth and options on the rotation.