Ryan Mountcastle's Most Similar Batters List

Pickles

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Misread your comment on my phone and thought you were posting what you thought was a different list.

What you did was go, I don't like this BBref list I want to use this other BBref list that better matches my view.  Why should the list you like better be any more valid?  You do accept that age is important right? 

Did I say it was more valid?  All I’m pointing out is the same site has 2 vastly different lists.

Neither really matter because the methodology is poor but pickles is painting a pretty rosey picture without giving all the info. 

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Did I say it was more valid?  All I’m pointing out is the same site has 2 vastly different lists.

Neither really matter because the methodology is poor but pickles is painting a pretty rosey picture without giving all the info. 

They said which list they referenced.  I'm sure no one expected that to be the only list.  No shenanigans in place. 

• Upvote 1

I hope Mountcastle is more than Mancini.

Granted some of that is the high school angle and pedigree snobbery.   Mancini is the Robert Neustrom guy having actualized his best case outcome; Mountcastle's production is near to that just cutting his teeth, and I feel the ceiling is higher.

Mountcastle leads career OPS+ 117-115, having compiled his in the Show at ages Mancini was doing the labor the Neustrom guy always has to do and crushing the high minors for a long while to win believers.    He'll never have that burden Means and Mullins share with Mancini because he's supposed to have been good all along.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

My favorite comp for Ryan Mountcastle is a more athletic Mark Trumbo. They're both low-plate discipline high-power hitters. Trumbo had a career .249/.302/.459 line, while Mountcastle is at .270/.324/.492. Take out Mountcastle's hot 2020 and you get .255/.309/.487

In the minors, Trumbo hit .275/.330/.478. Mountcastle hit .295/.328/.471

I do think Mountcastle will have the better career when all is said and done, but he doesn't have his decline years dragging down his career averages yet either. Although Trumbo's best season was his age 30 campaign with us where he hit 47 homers and OPS'd .850

I think a more a more athletic Trumbo is the best comp for Mountcastle based on his MLB career so far. That also means the Orioles should avoid signing Mountcastle to a long term second contract. 

That’s not something the team will have to think about for several years, and Mountcastle could always change as a hitter becoming more selective at the plate. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think a more a more athletic Trumbo is the best comp for Mountcastle based on his MLB career so far. That also means the Orioles should avoid signing Mountcastle to a long term second contract. 

That’s not something the team will have to think about for several years, and Mountcastle could always change as a hitter becoming more selective at the plate. 

They only singed Trumbo to the one contract.

I've noticed a Mandela effect with Trumbo.  The O's acquired him in a trade and he only ever signed one multi-year contract.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

He still should be the top of the “young players to trade” list.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

He still should be the top of the “young players to trade” list.

Why?

You think he's going to bring something great back?

You trade him and you need to replace him.  Who do you have in mind?

I think you just don't care for him as a player and that is why you want him traded.  Which is pretty funny.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They only singed Trumbo to the one contract.

I've noticed a Mandela effect with Trumbo.  The O's acquired him in a trade and he only ever signed one multi-year contract.

I’m not familiar with the term Mandela effect.   What does it mean?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not familiar with the term Mandela effect.   What does it mean?

It's a mass false memory phenomenon. 

From Wiki

False memories can sometimes be shared by multiple people. One prominent example comes from a 2010 study that examined people familiar with the clock at Bologna Centrale railway station, which was damaged in the Bologna massacre bombing in August 1980. In the study, 92% of respondents falsely remembered the clock had remained stopped since the bombing when, in fact, the clock was repaired shortly after the attack. Years later the clock was again stopped and set to the time of the bombing in observance and commemoration of the bombing.[7]

Other examples include memories of the title of the Berenstain Bears children's books being spelled Berenstein,[8][9] the logo of clothing brand Fruit of the Loom featuring a cornucopia,[10] and the existence of a 1990s movie titled Shazaam starring comedian Sinbad as a genie. The movie is often confused with Kazaam, starring retired NBA star Shaq.[11]

In 2010, this shared false memory phenomenon was dubbed "the Mandela effect" by self-described "paranormal consultant" Fiona Broome, in reference to her false memory of the death of South African anti-Apartheid leader Nelson Mandela in prison in the 1980s (he actually died in 2013, after having served as President of South Africa from 1994 to 1999), which she claimed was shared by "perhaps thousands" of other people

I myself fell victim to the Sinbad as genie one.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?

You think he's going to bring something great back?

You trade him and you need to replace him.  Who do you have in mind?

I think you just don't care for him as a player and that is why you want him traded.  Which is pretty funny.

I think you should stop thinking you know what I’m saying because you are awful at it.

I would look to trade him because I don’t think he will consistently be much more than a 2-2.5 WAR guy and as soon as he starts to get expensive, he won’t be worth keeping around.

I would rather trade him now in hopes that some team values his ceiling higher and that we can address other areas of need.

He’s a valuable guy at his current salary and I like having him here.  Long term, I don’t see as much value.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I think you should stop thinking because you seem to be awful at it.

I would look to trade him because I don’t think he will consistently be much more than a 2-2.5 WAR guy and as soon as he starts to get expensive, he won’t be worth keeping around.

I would rather trade him now in hopes that some team values his ceiling higher and that we can address other areas of need.

He’s a valuable guy at his current salary and I like having him here.  Long term, I don’t see as much value.

So other teams are going to overvalue him when you are smart enough to see his true future worth is limited by his OBP issues?

I don't see it.  The O's need some decent players and he should be decent and cheap enough to be part of the next winning team if Elias ever decides to try and field one.  You can't flip everyone for a great return, some guys you just let walk.

I mean sure, if some team is stupid enough to overpay you let them, but I don't think it's likely to happen.  The other teams have read Moneyball.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So other teams are going to overvalue him when you are smart enough to see his true future worth is limited by his OBP issues?

I don't see it.  The O's need some decent players and he should be decent and cheap enough to be part of the next winning team if Elias ever decides to try and field one.  You can't flip everyone for a great return, some guys you just let walk.

I mean sure, if some team is stupid enough to overpay you let them, but I don't think it's likely to happen.  The other teams have read Moneyball.

I didn’t say anyone would necessarily overvalue him.  I think valuing him for what he is right now makes him a valuable player for a lot of teams, particularly ones who are budget conscious.  So, they don’t need to overvalue him for him to be worth a good amount in a trade.  I am also not just talking about some kind of a 1 for 1 deal.   Just a general idea that he is #1 on my trade list as we look for pitching  or left side of the IF help. 

But sure, if there is a team out there that feels he will be a better player, even better.  I think he will have a season like what Mancini did in 2019..maybe even multiple of those seasons.  I just don’t think that’s who he is year in and year out.  So yes, someone out there could “overvalue” Him and feel he will get better.  I know a lot of Os fans think he will.