Ryan Mountcastle's Most Similar Batters List

Pickles

1 hour ago, scOtt said:

And not that it means much... He's a better defender (I think) than Mancini. At least good enough that his bat makes up for it.

Plus 1B is a trash position. Stick most anyone there if they can hit and RM is better than "most anyone."

He'll be fine at first base.

I still think his time in LF was quixotic.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

ZiPS says Mountcastle’s closest comp is Wil Cordero.   Don’t ask me why.   They don’t seem remotely similar.
https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cordewi01.shtml

I fully concede that this comp list is not what I would have predicted.  I don't claim that it is predictive. 

That's actually what makes it interesting.

Of course, I remember when PECOTA pegged Billy Rowell as the new Mickey Mantle.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s Mancini 

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

My favorite comp for Ryan Mountcastle is a more athletic Mark Trumbo. They're both low-plate discipline high-power hitters. Trumbo had a career .249/.302/.459 line, while Mountcastle is at .270/.324/.492. Take out Mountcastle's hot 2020 and you get .255/.309/.487

In the minors, Trumbo hit .275/.330/.478. Mountcastle hit .295/.328/.471

I do think Mountcastle will have the better career when all is said and done, but he doesn't have his decline years dragging down his career averages yet either. Although Trumbo's best season was his age 30 campaign with us where he hit 47 homers and OPS'd .850

That was what prompted me to make this thread.

If Mountcastle's comp list had been full of names like Mancini and Trumbo I wouldn't have found it noteworthy.

Instead his list is full of guys with 30-40-50 WAR careers.

It seems to suggest there might be some upside to Mountcastle that is somewhat hidden.

3 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That was what prompted me to make this thread.

If Mountcastle's comp list had been full of names like Mancini and Trumbo I wouldn't have found it noteworthy.

Instead his list is full of guys with 30-40-50 WAR careers.

It seems to suggest there might be some upside to Mountcastle that is somewhat hidden.

Is this the BBR list?  That’s not really an in depth, good list if so.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Is this the BBR list?  That’s not really an in depth, good list if so.

It is the BBR list.

I concede that the way they formulate these comp lists is not perfect.  It's just an old Bill James formula and is heavily dependent on counting stats.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Huh?  There are the similar batters and the similar batters through age 24.  

Misread your comment on my phone and thought you were posting what you thought was a different list.

What you did was go, I don't like this BBref list I want to use this other BBref list that better matches my view.  Why should the list you like better be any more valid?  You do accept that age is important right? 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1