What if Greinke fell to the O's?

wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

It was a surprise that Elias spent 7m on Lyles.   Greinke is a much better starter.  I don't think it can be ruled out that the O's would offer Greinke 15m just like Tampa did with Morton.

Yes it can be ruled out and again, we aren’t Tampa, no matter how much you want to push that narrative.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If the O's offer the most money that is sometimes all it takes.

Wel they won’t and in this case, I think they would have to pay so much more that he can’t say no. 

And again, I don’t think he would be good here anyway.  His stuff has declined and pitching in our park and in our division won’t be good for him.

Just his knowledge and approach to teach young pitchers how to pitch would be worth a 2-year contract.  The O's need a veteran pitcher to teach the young guys coming in how to pitch and how to prepare to pitch.  A guy like Greinke would be very valuable in preparing a solid staff going forward.  I would be very much in favor of it.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Just his knowledge and approach to teach young pitchers how to pitch would be worth a 2-year contract.  The O's need a veteran pitcher to teach the young guys coming in how to pitch and how to prepare to pitch.  A guy like Greinke would be very valuable in preparing a solid staff going forward.  I would be very much in favor of it.  

I don't know one way or another.

Does Greinke have a reputation of acting in that type of fashion?

Not every veteran player is interested or skilled in mentoring younger players.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

If the O's offer the most money that is sometimes all it takes.

With Greinke, it has a lot to do with fit and feel. He has issues with anxiety. He’s an introvert, who has dealt with things in smaller markets better. He may like to finish in a situation with less stress and without expectation of winning a World Series. I doubt he would want to come to Baltimore, but he definitely isn’t going to Japan.  

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know one way or another.

Does Greinke have a reputation of acting in that type of fashion?

Not every veteran player is interested or skilled in mentoring younger players.

I’ve always been skeptical that great players know how to convey the things that make them great.   Greinke is a tremendous athlete who had the ability to do certain things most pitchers can’t do, or at least, can’t do as well.   Honestly a guy like Lyles might be more help to the young pitchers than a guy like Greinke, since they can see here’s a guy no more talented than them who’s managed to survive in the league for a decade or so.

• Upvote 1

I'd be all about Greinke at $15mil plus an option.  

O's aren't going to contend this year, but having a veteran who can pitch decently and eat innings is valuable, especially if more young pitchers get promoted this year.

Greinke is probably going to latch on with a team in contention, or expecting to contend at the back-end of their rotation, so it's a moot point. 

A fun thought. The same is true for any mid-to-top tier starting pitcher, really. If they slip and the O's feel like spending money, great! I doubt that will be the case this off-season, just based on lack of evidence that they're ready to start really spending, but it would be fun. 

I agree that if they add a legitimate SP of some kind, the rotation could get very decent very quickly once Grayson is up.

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

I can see why people would want him here, I don't disagree.  But I'm betting he'd be more inclined to join a team that can get him a ring rather than babysit kids on a last place team.  A WS title is really the only thing he's missing from his career resume.  

I bet he'd take less to go somewhere else with a chance to win than come to a team like this one. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see why people would want him here, I don't disagree.  But I'm betting he'd be more inclined to join a team that can get him a ring rather than babysit kids on a last place team.  A WS title is really the only thing he's missing from his career resume.  

I bet he'd take less to go somewhere else with a chance to win than come to a team like this one. 

I could also see him holding out until mid-season if need be. But as crazy as the market was before the lockout, I doubt he'll have to. The hot stove will be buck wild once the lockout lifts I think.