2022 International Signing Tracker

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles will sign Jean Carlos Martinez next week for $125k. He's an outfielder, big strong guy, really athletic. Paperwork issues, age issues scared off some teams, but cleared by MLB. Could be a steal for the bonus.

This was posted on twitter last week and I was wondering why I didnt see his name among the signees. 

14 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The video of Thomas Sosa shows a solidly built kid, maybe even stocky and a RH hitter yet he's compared physically to Gregory Polanco a tall and long limbed type of guy.  The printout of signees also shows Sosa as batting and throwing LH.  What's up?

I may have those video's backwards with Jean Mata. I'll have to check.

41 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

This was posted on twitter last week and I was wondering why I didnt see his name among the signees. 

There were issues with his paper work and getting cleared by MLB. He was cleared yesterday and will sign early this week.

• Upvote 1

Roch has some Koby Perez quotes about Leandro Arias ($600k SS) and (Edwin Amparo ($650 k SS) up.   Both are switch hitters.

“We targeted them because their profiles are really good,” Perez said. “They both run very, very well, they both have very good arms and we think they can both play shortstop, which is very difficult to find, a player that stays at shortstop.

“They fact that they both switch-hit opens up a lot of avenues for them. Obviously, we want both these guys to be the shortstop, but sometimes when they’re switch-hitters, they have better chances at becoming utility guys. They can move over to second base. A shortstop can go to center field for the most part. These guys are really good athletes.

“Our process in scouting is, we try to document what they’ve done these past three years. We document their at-bats and everything, and both these kids, they get on base, they don’t strike out very much and they put the barrel on the ball. The little bit of track record we have are very, very good, so we attack these players pretty early, and they were happy to be part of us and we’re happy to have them.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2022/01/more-on-orioles-signings-and-releases.html

• Upvote 2

Just to repeat some points I posted in the now-locked thread:

FJKOoxoWYAMZGy6?format=jpg&name=medium

A couple of thoughts about this class:

1.  Interesting that 10 of the 24 are from Venezuela.

2.  RHP Ezequiel Bonilla piques my interest.   Not only is he from a country (Panama) that isn’t as heavily scouted as the DR and Venezuela, but he’s also the youngest player in our class, born on 8/12/05.   He’ll still be 16 for most of the upcoming season.   He strikes me as a guy who other teams might have overlooked.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just to repeat some points I posted in the now-locked thread:

A couple of thoughts about this class:

1.  Interesting that 10 of the 24 are from Venezuela.

2.  RHP Ezequiel Bonilla piques my interest.   Not only is he from a country (Panama) that isn’t as heavily scouted as the DR and Venezuela, but he’s also the youngest player in our class, born on 8/12/05.   He’ll still be 16 for most of the upcoming season.   He strikes me as a guy who other teams might have overlooked.   

Bonilla is  20K signee. More of a DSL filler.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Sorry, he was a $35k signee. He's a pitchability strike thrower, runs it up 88-91. 

When you hear of guys like Raul Rangel being a mid to high 80's guy as a 16-17 yo and now at 18 he was touching 93, I think it makes you realize that anything can happen at that age.   It's very hard to project a 16 yo hitter or pitcher.     If the bonus is that low though they must think there isn't that much projectability.   As Frobby said, at 16, 88-91 and a strike thrower sounds better than 35K!

6 minutes ago, connja said:

Sorry if already asked/answered, but at 22 and likely starting in Bowie, does Preito crack our top 30?

6 minutes ago, connja said:

Sorry if already asked/answered, but at 22 and likely starting in Bowie, does Preito crack our top 30?

The answer is yes.  Tony said he would rank somewhere in between Norby and Vavra.