2022 International Signing Tracker

23 hours ago, RZNJ said:

When you hear of guys like Raul Rangel being a mid to high 80's guy as a 16-17 yo and now at 18 he was touching 93, I think it makes you realize that anything can happen at that age.   It's very hard to project a 16 yo hitter or pitcher.     If the bonus is that low though they must think there isn't that much projectability.   As Frobby said, at 16, 88-91 and a strike thrower sounds better than 35K!

True, they certainly could make big jumps. 

On 1/17/2022 at 12:03 PM, Tony-OH said:

Sorry, he was a $35k signee. He's a pitchability strike thrower, runs it up 88-91. 

If he truly sits 88-91 as a 16 year old, I am very encouraged by the fact that he is also a strike thrower. It would seem very plausible that he could see velo gains as he matures and strengthens. 

1 hour ago, waynebug said:

The Athletic reports the class is now up to 27 signees.

No offense but we knew that.  Multiple sources, had the Orioles signing 3 additional players the Monday after the initial signing class of 24 was announced on that Saturday.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to go on a rant about the lack of pitchers getting top bonuses from the Orioles, but I checked the last couple of international signing classes and it seems that top bonuses to pitchers are rare in the international market.  This year, only two of the so-called Top 50 international signees from MLB.com are pitchers.  

I get why it's harder to project pitchers than hitters at age 16.  But if it makes sense to spend most of your international dollars on hitters, then it should be all the more important to spend more high-draft pick capital on pitching. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2022 at 6:55 PM, Three Run Homer said:

I was going to go on a rant about the lack of pitchers getting top bonuses from the Orioles, but I checked the last couple of international signing classes and it seems that top bonuses to pitchers are rare in the international market.  This year, only two of the so-called Top 50 international signees from MLB.com are pitchers.  

I get why it's harder to project pitchers than hitters at age 16.  But if it makes sense to spend most of your international dollars on hitters, then it should be all the more important to spend more high-draft pick capital on pitching. 

Remember, most of these top deals are made when the players are 14. Imagine trying to decide to give a 14 year old with a good arm a huge bonus. This is why they need a draft of 16-year olds for the International market.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 1:50 PM, Tony-OH said:

Remember, most of these top deals are made when the players are 14. Imagine trying to decide to give a 14 year old with a good arm a huge bonus. This is why they need a draft of 16-year olds for the International market.

Absolutely. So many things change, even into their early-mid 20's. 

• 4 months later...