Orioles have a "major announcement" at 9am on Friday 2/18 at Camden Yards. (Update: McCartney concert announced)

OsFanSinceThe80s

Angelos said concerts are "vitally important" for the Orioles. He said they want as many big acts as possible, naming Pearl Jam and Foo Fighters as examples. "It's a way that a middle-market, small-market team can also compete in a system where all payrolls are not the same."

OK, John, so concerts with big-name artists are "vitally important" -- I guess that's why the Orioles avoided having them for so long. By the way, do you think there's something novel or ahead of the competitive curve about bringing in a big-name performer for an in-season stadium concert? Don't you know that a lot of MLB franchises, including some with much higher baseball revenues than the Orioles, have been bringing in additional revenues  by hosting big-name concerts for years? (I am guessing that MLB teams' revenues from these concerts don't show up in the Forbes numbers, but maybe they do.)

Here's the difference: lots of other teams don't just "want as many big acts as possible," they've been booking those facts for years, even decades (and , I suspect, are continuing to book more), with an understandable slowdown the last couple of years. Some of these performers are likely to bring younger fans, of the performers if not of baseball, into the ballpark. (Here's a list of Yankee Stadium concerts, which I think is incomplete but nonetheless makes the point.  https://www.songkick.com/venues/28828-yankee-stadium/gigography  .)  The parks of all the other AL West teams have a history of hosting big-name concerts, including 399 at Fenway dating back to The Boss in 2003. https://www.concertarchives.org/venues/fenway-park?page=16#concert-table 

Once again the Orioles are years or decades behind the competition, and their approach to finding new revenues or otherwise enhancing their competitive position is limited to a weak copy of what other teams have done and are doing, and acting as if they've just turned the baseball world upside down. I guess that's progress, but it's hard for me to get too excited about it. 

I'll be more interested in an Oriole press conference to announce that the Orioles are implementing a plan that's based on an original idea that potentially enhances revenues or otherwise improves financially the team's competitive position.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey well at least we can keep the Nashville rumor mill churning!

If only it was a major country music star concert announcement to keep fanning the flames. I've never bought Into these moving rumors for a second.

But they really screwed the pooch on hyping a major announcement that's just a rock concert. All they had to do was phrase this as "major concert announcement news" instead of letting everyone guess what this might have been. 

• Upvote 1