Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

I’ve been pretty apathetic this off-season but this thread has garnered my interest. I’m one who would consider the O’s willingness to spend again a positive thing, but is the dropping 10/300 on Correa going to preclude us from making other free agency moves down the line  to improve the team?  I would think so, unless we’ve suddenly become the Yankees or Red Sox overnight. 

Two out of the last four years he’s put up a sub 100 OPS+. Career high in home runs of 26. This does not seem like a guy worth dropping 10/300 on. I rather spend that money on two pitchers or a higher impact bat. I recall Correa batting 7th a lot for the Astros. 

2 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I’ve been pretty apathetic this off-season but this thread has garnered my interest. I’m one who would consider the O’s willingness to spend again a positive thing, but is the dropping 10/300 on Correa going to preclude us from making other free agency moves down the line  to improve the team?  I would guess so, unless we’ve suddenly become the Yankees or Red Sox overnight. 

Two out of the last four years he’s put up a sub 100 OPS+. Career high in home runs of 26. This does not seem like a guy worth dropping 10/300 on. I rather spend that money on two pitchers or a higher impact bat. 

Why would it?  If the Orioles play their cards right, they will have a lot of players making very little money for the next several years.  It should be easy to add more money.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would it?  If the Orioles play their cards right, they will have a lot of players making very little money for the next several years.  It should be easy to add more money.

It depends on where they want the payroll to sit. Giving Carlos Correa 10/300 just feels like a gross overpay to me.  He’s not an elite player. I also feel like we have a better idea where our shortstop prospects stand after 2022. Next offseason seems like the more opportune time to dish out these kind of contracts. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It depends on where they want the payroll to sit. Giving Carlos Correa 10/300 just feels like a gross overpay to me.  He’s not an elite player. I also feel like we have a better idea where our shortstop prospects stand after 2022. Next offseason seems like the more opportune time to dish out these kind of contracts. 

In what way is Correa not an elite player?  He clearly is. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Young players will eventually go through arbitration plus you gotta have some room to supplement with free agents. It’s a legit concern…but the O’s were up there for a stretch and there’s no reason to think they can’t go there again. 

We are already playing with house money on the entertainment value of Correa remaining clubless an entire week.

Maybe Boras can arrange a counseling session with Alex Cobb on that vexed feeling when BAL has the most $$$ on the table, and you don't want to go.    

Certainly Elias 1st time GM, team getting better and a player like this will be a rare circumstance given the history.

Nice of Colorado to keep Bryant warm for another 1.5 or 2 seasons, I'm sure he'll never go Arenado-sour there.   Its nice to get your ring early...that Correa has his is one thing that might help us out if Elias actually is bidding for his guy.

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It's so friggin' bizarre that Ramos has stuck to his guns for weeks now on this story when none of the big name reporters and outlets have been willing to go anywhere near it.

Yea, I don’t know much about Eutaw Street report but at least someone else is confirming it now. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Yea, I don’t know much about Eutaw Street report but at least someone else is confirming it now. 

I write for them too.  It’s a spin off of Russell Street Report, which does a great job covering the Ravens.

I actually emailed someone asking about this guy and if he could have a legit source.  He does have over 2000 Twitter followers.  Not that it’s a ton but guys like Luke Siler follow him so maybe he’s legit.  

I would think he wouldn’t just say it for the hell of it and lie but it doesn’t mean the info he has been given is accurate or comes from a good source either.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I write for them too.  It’s a spin off of Russell Street Report, which does a great job covering the Ravens.

I actually emailed someone asking about this guy and if he could have a legit source.  He does have over 2000 Twitter followers.  Not that it’s a ton but guys like Luke Siler follow him so maybe he’s legit.  

I would think he wouldn’t just say it for the hell of it and lie but it doesn’t mean the info he has been given is accurate or comes from a good source either.

Well that writer from Eutaw Street has some sources he says he confirmed the offer with. So at least more than just one guy has this info. 

19 minutes ago, oriole said:

Young players will eventually go through arbitration plus you gotta have some room to supplement with free agents. It’s a legit concern…but the O’s were up there for a stretch and there’s no reason to think they can’t go there again. 

Yes they will go through arbitration..in 4+ years.  And we should then be bringing in more players making very little money and not keeping the Mountcastles of the world when they start to get really expensive.