Correa (Update, signs with Twins)

Yardball85

1 hour ago, geschinger said:

The more it drags on I think th likelyhood he ends up back in HOU increases.  The Astros don't seem like they were anxious to get rid of him and I don't get the impression he was unhappy there.

If Boras is unsuccessful getting anyone to bite on the type of deal he wants I think Houston is the most likely fallback on a shorter term deal. It would allow Boras to try again in a year or two for the massive deal.

I can see that line of thinking, too.

I'd be curious to see what percentage of Boras mega deals have been a player going back to his franchise instead of leaving.  Off the top of my head there was Strasburg who stayed in DC after they won the World Series but I can't really remember anyone else staying.  I'm sure there are some that I am forgetting.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see that line of thinking, too.

I'd be curious to see what percentage of Boras mega deals have been a player going back to his franchise instead of leaving.  Off the top of my head there was Strasburg who stayed in DC after they won the World Series but I can't really remember anyone else staying.  I'm sure there are some that I am forgetting.  

chris-davis-1.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Correa, Castellanos and Conforto - I wonder how near to OD they could sign and still be in the lineup.    21 days is still more than enough, but is 15?   8?    I bet a proven position player, it is still less than 8.

Isn’t Castellanos under contract?  Per BB-ref, he is.   
As to the general question, I’d say it varies by position and by the player, depending on what they’ve done to stay in shape.   

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

It’s one thing to not sign a guy to a 10 year contract because you’re not yet a contender. That is stupid. It’s another thing to give a guy what amounts to only a 4 year deal, at the highest AAV in history, when for at least one of these years you’re still going to suck. Then he has the added protection of 4/100 if he falls off a cliff or gets hurt. 

If you contend 3 out of 4 years, I think that’s fine.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

**** my life.  I forgot he was a Boras client.

As an aside, one thing I'm really enjoying in this offseason/shortened spring training is that there are no Chris Davis articles.   

Not just Chris Davis, but all the positive steps he took this off-season to turn things around, accompanied by a quote from him what he thinks went wrong and how he might have fixed the issue that caused him to hit .039 the previous year, and another quote from a coach about how he looks different in camp, has an intensity not seen before, and the ball ‘seems to be jumping off his bat’ again. Followed, inevitably, by another season in which he struggles to even hit .039 … yeah, I’m not missing any part of that either.

• Upvote 1

As an aside, one thing I'm really enjoying in this offseason/shortened spring training is that there are no Chris Davis articles.   

I'll just chalk it up to you trying to block it out of your mind 😉

I'm sure you're not the only one lol.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

An incredible feeling.

15 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Not just Chris Davis, but all the positive steps he took this off-season to turn things around, accompanied by a quote from him what he thinks went wrong and how he might have fixed the issue that caused him to hit .039 the previous year, and another quote from a coach about how he looks different in camp, has an intensity not seen before, and the ball ‘seems to be jumping off his bat’ again. Followed, inevitably, by another season in which he struggles to even hit .039 … yeah, I’m not missing any part of that either.

As me yet, here you guys are, bringing it up.    I’d have been happy just to never mention it again.