Free agency thread

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Thinking Ronal Torreyes wouldn't be a terrible fit for the Orioles? He played a decent SS last year for the Phillies...and frankly the market is very thin, and so is our 40 man at that position 

I'd rather watch Mateo.

Just now, seak05 said:

What's your reasoning (genuinely curious)? His defense at SS last year was terrible, and he's going to be 27 in June. 

It was SSS but I didn't find his defense to be terrible.

The fact is Mateo is younger and has been better recently than Torreyes.  He also has a better prospect pedigree- I believe.

TBH, I don't think there's a real good case for Torreyes over Mateo.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pickles said:

It was SSS but I didn't find his defense to be terrible.

The fact is Mateo is younger and has been better recently than Torreyes.  He also has a better prospect pedigree- I believe.

TBH, I don't think there's a real good case for Torreyes over Mateo.

Mateo has more offensive upside, but in SSS last year at short he was -2 OAA. I think that type of defense at a crucial position hurts pitcher development. The two were roughly equivalent in WAR last year (.6 v .5)

I don't love Torreyes, I'm just not sure what else is available...and I am opposed to Mateo being the opening day SS. Maybe I'm overreacting to a small sample size and he will be better defensively then he was. 

Edited by seak05

3 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Mateo has more offensive upside, but in SSS last year at short he was -2 OAA. I think that type of defense at a crucial position hurts pitcher development. The two were roughly equivalent in WAR last year (.6 v .5)

I don't love Torreyes, I'm just not sure what else is available...and I am opposed to Mateo being the opening day SS. Maybe I'm overreacting to a small sample size and he will be better defensively then he was. 

Again, from what I saw, Mateo's defense wasn't terrible in my eyes.  Now, I very well might be singing a different tune come May, but that is my position as of now.

I think it is highly unlikely Mateo is ever going to become a ML regular- particularly as a SS.

However, I think he has upside and a potential role on the next competitive Orioles' team.

I see nothing of that nature in Torreyes.

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

Mateo has more offensive upside, but in SSS last year at short he was -2 OAA. 

It was too small a sample to make much of it.   I’m not sold on his defense at SS either, but 119 innings at SS isn’t a good basis for judgment.

23 hours ago, Just Regular said:

About a dozen relievers still out there that Fangraphs bothered to crowdsource.   Based on those AAV guesses:

Tier 1: Kenley, Ottavino, Betances, Rosenthal, McHugh

Tier 2: Chafin, C. Martin, Colome (just went to COL), Tepera, Romo, Clippard

Un-tiered: Mychal Givens, Archie Bradley

I'm going to predict a Givens reunion.  Can we get McHugh too?

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Alrighty then, this is a weird trade the Yankees just made. 

That should effectively take the Yankees out of the running for Correa and could potentially put the Twins into the running for Correa.

What a weird series of deals by MIN though. They basically turned Garver and Donaldson into Gary Sanchez and payroll space.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Nelson Cruz choosing between LAD and SD.

Wonder if we can trade Mancini to the loser?

Went to Nationals. Remember when DD didn’t think Cruz was worth the third year? LOL Good times. So much incompetent leadership in this franchise’s history. And he did ok considering ownership…