Free agency thread

Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

I'll say it again, if we were in on Correa, why not be in on Story.  Camden should play above league average on offense, and he should be solid on defense for 5 more at SS, and can always move off when others are ready.

I was just thinking about Story. He's a RH, so the new park will limit his HR's. I could see a 5 year deal making sense, if our scouts liked his defense. Being the Orioles it might take 6/180 though.

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I was just thinking about Story. He's a RH, so the new park will limit his HR's. I could see a 5 year deal making sense, if our scouts liked his defense. Being the Orioles it might take 6/180 though.

I'm okay with it.  Not my money, but would also give him an opt out after 3-4.  Might even front load.

The rumors around him though are that he wants to go to a contender, so you'd have to overpay.

Edited by MarCakes21

7 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

I'll say it again, if we were in on Correa, why not be in on Story.  Camden should play above league average on offense, and he should be solid on defense for 5 more at SS, and can always move off when others are ready.

Story is not a former Astro, that seems to be the requirement, whether its a big name or some scrub 

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Because his career OPS is over .200 points lower when he isn't playing in the thin air at Coors Field. He's simply not a very good hitter at or near sea level.

Story hits a home run once every 15 at bats at Coors Field versus once every 22 at bats on the road for his career. 

Story is still a good player away from Coors Field, he’s just not a superstar and it’s a mistake to pay him like one. A mistake the Orioles can ill afford with their seemingly limited payroll. 

17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Story hits a home run once every 15 at bats at Coors Field versus once every 22 at bats on the road for his career. 

Story is still a good player away from Coors Field, he’s just not a superstar and it’s a mistake to pay him like one. A mistake the Orioles can ill afford with their seemingly limited payroll. 

The overall career OPS difference is pretty staggering, it's like .970 vs. .750 and his away numbers last year were even worse. 

1 hour ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The overall career OPS difference is pretty staggering, it's like .970 vs. .750 and his away numbers last year were even worse. 

Pretty typical.   One thing to remember is that playing at Coors and then adjusting to the road is difficult.   Lots of players who leave the Rockies hit better on the road once they change teams.   

7 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Did you break him down by park?  Camden was a top offensive park in the league last year.

And either way, he's still a above average defensively.

Seeing 6/140 early reports, which would be same as Javier Baez on both.

Glad to see long-term commitment, ala Yankees LeMahieu, please oppose us in years 4-6 with that guy.   Imagine Red Sox hoping for the Semien 2B 2021 type experience.   Statcast OAA thought both Xander and Story near bottom of barrel shortstops last year, so guess is don't upset the incumbent tenured guy.    Xander has opt-out after this season.

Story 11.15.1992 - 112 OPS+ in 3100 PA

Xander 10.1.1992 - 115 OPS+ in 4800 PA

Both guys I feel in last 1-2 years tops before 2B/3B futures.   Xander, Baez and Tim Anderson age-29 2022's are I believe the oldest 3 AL Opening Day shortstops, just so long as OAK decides to go with Kevin Smith (go Terps!) over Elvis Andrus.

Our last pass through this unbalanced divisional schedule could be a doozy.   Fangraphs this morning has Red Sox 4th place, three games behind Rays, both of them well behind Jays/Yankees.