Free agency thread

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You want the payroll to double? 

I'm looking at their roster, they signed Scott Feldman, Chad Qualls, Matt Albers and Jerome Williams for a combined $19m and traded for Dexter Fowler who was another $7m.  Only Feldman was more than a 1 year commitment.   

I would have nothing against moves like that - in fact I would love it if they could find another Feldman type for the rotation.  But wouldn't you agree that doubling the payroll with moves like that is not what those who want more spending have in mind?

1 minute ago, geschinger said:

I'm looking at their roster, they signed Scott Feldman, Chad Qualls, Matt Albers and Jerome Williams for a combined $19m and traded for Dexter Fowler who was another $7m.  Only Feldman was more than a 1 year commitment.   

I would have nothing against moves like that - in fact I would love it if they could find another Feldman type for the rotation.  But wouldn't you agree that doubling the payroll with moves like that is not what those who want more spending have in mind?

Are you suggesting that you want the type of performance bump they had without spending any money? 

Spending money was part of the reason they did better on the field.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you suggesting that you want the type of performance bump they had without spending any money? 

Spending money was part of the reason they did better on the field.

Like I said, I'd love for the Orioles to acquire a Feldman type player if they can.  I do think they'll try to add at least one more MLB caliber starting pitcher.

Looking at the Astros roster, some of that spending made them worse off. They likely would have won more games if they had even more trust in letting the prospects play and instead of trading for Dexter Fowler they kept Joran Lyles and didn't let go of J.D. Martinez.  

I'm of the opinion the Orioles will spend more in the next couple of weeks but I predict it will be on short term stop gaps that won't win the team many accolades from the impatient.

The starting rotation still looks awful. Right now the depth chart probably looks like

Means, Lyles, Akin, Zimmermann, Ellis, Kremer, Lowther, Baumann, A. Wells, Watkins

It would look slightly less horrible if they signed another pitcher.

Johnny Cueto, Brett Anderson, Chris Archer, JA Happ, Zach Davies, and Julio Teheran are still available. Are they good? No. But if they can give us 5 innings per start, then I'll take it. I just really really don't want to see Tom Eshelman starting for the Orioles anymore.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Trying to get to .500, it's how the O's ended up with a 14 year losing streak.  Whatever you think about Elias, I think we can agree he isn't aiming for a .500 team. 

I’m so tired of hearing that first sentence.  I swear, it’s almost as if people don’t actually know why the Orioles were bad for all those years and what they were doing wrong.

What the Orioles did in the 2000s is the exact opposite of what is being done now.  There is zero relevance to it.  Trying to win games now, with the minor league system where it is and with them doing well with their intl program makes it entirely different.

It’s completely different.  There are no similarities.  

You all are aware that the orioles projected payroll for 2022 is ~65m right?  (Gotta love Chris Davis, maybe he can pitch out of the bullpen). 

Also Alex Cobb is significantly better then the guys you are mentioning. The chances of any of them giving the orioles 5 consistently decent innings is low 

12 hours ago, seak05 said:

You all are aware that the orioles projected payroll for 2022 is ~65m right?  (Gotta love Chris Davis, maybe he can pitch out of the bullpen). 

Also Alex Cobb is significantly better then the guys you are mentioning. The chances of any of them giving the orioles 5 consistently decent innings is low 

The 25 man roster is $23 million.  Add in Davis and you still have a payroll at the bottom of the pile.  https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

4 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

The 25 man roster is $23 million.  Add in Davis and you still have a payroll at the bottom of the pile.  https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

Do you anticipate them playing with an 8 man roster?  Click on the total for Baltimore and you will see that $24m only covers the 8 players they have amounts for.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Try fangraphs next time. You have to add in the arbitration eligible players salaries. They have estimates for Means and Mancini included 

https://www.fangraphs.com/roster-resource/payroll/orioles

18 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

The starting rotation still looks awful. Right now the depth chart probably looks like

Means, Lyles, Akin, Zimmermann, Ellis, Kremer, Lowther, Baumann, A. Wells, Watkins

It would look slightly less horrible if they signed another pitcher.

Johnny Cueto, Brett Anderson, Chris Archer, JA Happ, Zach Davies, and Julio Teheran are still available. Are they good? No. But if they can give us 5 innings per start, then I'll take it. I just really really don't want to see Tom Eshelman starting for the Orioles anymore.

Is it any and all for $500 Alex?

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They also show 23M for Davis..he’s not anywhere near that number.

It all depends how you want to account for it.   Some systems assign all the money to the season in which the money was earned, some assign it to when the player is paid.   I’m agnostic so long as it’s done consistently for all teams.