40 Man Roster

SCJeff

Someone refresh my memory please on how many spots we have open on our 40 Man?  I thought we had one, but with signing Lyles and Chirinos, aren't we going to have to designate someone, or is there someone injured we can put on the 60 day IL?

Would assume we would sign one or two more Free agents to major league deals, someone has to go (not that there isn't some folks I don't think we would miss).

30 minutes ago, SCJeff said:

Someone refresh my memory please on how many spots we have open on our 40 Man?  I thought we had one, but with signing Lyles and Chirinos, aren't we going to have to designate someone, or is there someone injured we can put on the 60 day IL?

Would assume we would sign one or two more Free agents to major league deals, someone has to go (not that there isn't some folks I don't think we would miss).

I believe it’s 39.. Lyles is included. So the other guy makes 40

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/40-man

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

What is the basis of this accusation? I'm genuinely curious.

He liked a tweeted calling for the n word to be shot dead. It’s so awful I am not going to post it but I think that should give you an indication. You can find it on Reddit and Twitter I believe. Many I know were shocked he wasn’t immediately released.

Edited by NelsonCruuuuuz

7 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

He liked a tweeted calling for the n word to be shot dead. It’s so awful I am not going to post it but I think that should give you an indication. You can find it on Reddit and Twitter I believe. Many I know were shocked he wasn’t immediately released.

I saw 2 "examples," one which seemed to just be celebrating old The Dukes Of Hazzard TV show (which happened to include a picture of their car with the Confederate flag on it) and another which is admittedly pretty distasteful but which is also 6 years old. I'm not sure I would unperson someone over a liked tweet from over half a decade ago but I also think it would be perfectly fair for one of our local sports reporters to ask him or the organization to comment on the matter, which does not seem to have happened from my cursory research.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I saw 2 "examples," one which seemed to just be celebrating old The Dukes Of Hazzard TV show (which happened to include a picture of their car with the Confederate flag on it) and another which is admittedly pretty distasteful but which is also 6 years old. I'm not sure I would unperson someone over a liked tweet from over half a decade ago but I also think it would be perfectly fair for one of our local sports reporters to ask him or the organization to comment on the matter, which does not seem to have happened from my cursory research.

This seems fair, keep in mind 6 years ago he was 20...so not a kid.  

I tire of the moral panic in this country.

Akin liked a tweet celebrating the Dukes of Hazard TV show.  There's nothing wrong with that.  At all.

He also like a tweet calling for a cop killer to be shot.  The cop killer was referred to using a racial slur.

The racial slur is ugly and unnecessary and highly offensive.  And someone should have a talk with Akin about representing himself professionally on social media.

However, if the naughty word upsets you more than the dead cop, you are a child and not a serious person.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hmmm, maybe.   I’ve successfully represented the NAACP in a race discrimination class action case, and I do about 100 hours of volunteer work a year for a foundation that sponsors racial justice fellowships for law students.  But, if you think a player should be taken off the 40-man roster because he liked a racist tweet several years ago and then took it down, then you probably do feel more strongly than I do.  I don’t like the fact that he did that, but I don’t think it’s a reason to keep him off the roster.    (PS - just saw your subsequent post.   I’ve never seen the actual post Akin “liked” but it sounds pretty bad.)

Well clearly you are better than all of us then, case closed.

16 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I can message you the tweet in question. It’s bad. Even Trumpers I know thought it was disgusting. If you want to see it, I’ll message it, not post it. It’s much worse than what is being discussed here.