2022 Trade Targets?

connja

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Well it depends on what it could cost to get him but I would love to see us field a team that is a f’ing embarrassment and get several good players and actually look the part of a franchise who gives a sh*t.

I realize many fans think it’s crazy to expect their team to actually want to try and win games but I’m happily in the minority against the irrational group.

I agree about trying to be less of a joke, but I would be pursuing mid-tier FA RPs on 1 or 2 year deals rather than trades that will cost potential future producers. The indications/rumblings from CWS have consistently been that they don't plan to move Kimbrel in a pure salary dump, they gave up 2 good pieces for him and want to recoup some of that value if they move him.

10 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Well, how bout the 16 million dollars?

How about the terrible performance for 2.5 of the last 3 years?

The money means nothing.

2020 means nothing because of the sample.  2019 was terrible and he was good last year.

Hes a reliever and for the most part, he has been elite but sometimes a reliever, even an elite one, has a bad year.  What he did in 2019 means little to me right now.

10 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I agree about trying to be less of a joke, but I would be pursuing mid-tier FA RPs on 1 or 2 year deals rather than trades that will cost potential future producers. The indications/rumblings from CWS have consistently been that they don't plan to move Kimbrel in a pure salary dump, they gave up 2 good pieces for him and want to recoup some of that value if they move him.

Mid tier players generally suck.  Waste of money and a roster spot.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The money means nothing.

2020 means nothing because of the sample.  2019 was terrible and he was good last year.

Hes a reliever and for the most part, he has been elite but sometimes a reliever, even an elite one, has a bad year.  What he did in 2019 means little to me right now.

He was horrendous in 2019. He was horrendous in 2020- walking over 7 per 9.  And he was horrendous in the second half of last year after the trade.  His "good" season last year was a good first half.

For someone who made some solid objections to the idea of signing Grienke, this seems awful similar.

Acquiring a guy with a big name, big paycheck, and troubling performance trends.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t see any.

I'm sure any decent optometrist could assist you with that 😉

20 minutes ago, Pickles said:

You didn't answer his legitimate questions/objections.  ;)

Why would he even need to? Trading quality prospects for a 34 year old RP that has been bad for 2.5 of the last 3 years on a 1 year/$16 million contract when you just lost 110 games is so brilliant that only the dullest of dullards could possibly doubt its benefits.

• Haha 1

After the trade, he threw 23 innings.

In 21.1 of those innings, he had a 2.5 ERA.  But he gave up 6 wins in 1.2Ip covering 2 outings.

Overall he had a 14 K rate, a 3.9 BB rate and a 3.6 K/BB ratio. He also had the highest swingstr% of his career.

As with most relievers, a few bad outings can skew his stats.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In 21.1 of those innings, he had a 2.5 ERA.  But he gave up 6 wins in 1.2Ip covering 2 outings.

Overall he had a 14 K rate, a 3.9 BB rate and a 3.6 K/BB ratio. He also had the highest swingstr% of his career.

Fun fact, with a relief pitcher, if you don't count the innings in which they give up runs, their ERA drops substantially.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I agree with this. I would prefer the Orioles not be the worst team in baseball again. Given the Orioles current lack of payroll, I would prefer to overpay slightly to get some mid-level talent here on short deals vs giving up prospects. 

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And yet his current team, a team that traded significant value for him, a team coming off a deep playoff run, a team with a wide open contention window, are (reportedly) looking to move on from him.

And honestly, this is all pretty tangential to the real issue of whether or not it makes any sense for the Baltimore Orioles to trade the necessary prospect capital to acquire Kimbrel under the present circumstances (it obviously does not).

14 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I agree with this. I would prefer the Orioles not be the worst team in baseball again. Given the Orioles current lack of payroll, I would prefer to overpay slightly to get some mid-level talent here on short deals vs giving up prospects. 

Yeah, I'd rather waste a few million bucks on a FA RP or two than trade a prospect who turns into a productive player for a guy in his mid-30s with 1 expensive year left on his deal in a year where we are virtually a lock to lose 90+ games either way.