Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

I liked what I saw, overall.  I don't think he had his best stuff but he battled.  Had the bases loaded in the first and struck out Gallo, IIRC.  

I agree that he needs a third pitch but that's fine.  Here's a guy who's finally come up from our system and attacks hitters.  Not a nibbler.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

A predictable outing: promising yet overmatched by an insane Yankees lineup. You can't fall behind or they will torch you. 

Good learning experience. 

Didn't see the outing, but this has been my primary concern with him. I like his stuff, but he throws too many pitches out of the zone. Good hitters will get themselves into favorable counts and then he becomes more vulnerable. It's the kind of thing that didn't hurt him in the minors that he'll need to adjust for. The plus side is that he really improved his walk rate since last fall, so it would appear that he can make this adjustment and stay more consistently in the zone. I'm not concerned....this was inevitable against a quality lineup. 

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I liked what I saw, overall.  I don't think he had his best stuff but he battled.  Had the bases loaded in the first and struck out Gallo, IIRC.  

I agree that he needs a third pitch but that's fine.  Here's a guy who's finally come up from our system and attacks hitters.  Not a nibbler.

Agree. A lot of good, young pitchers have looked bad against the Yankees in their rookie year. Heck, a lot of great, experienced pitchers routinely look bad against the Yankees (especially when they are hot).  Bradish looks like a real ML pitcher. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Bradish is a rookie holding his own in his first taste of the big leagues so there's going to be games like last night.

Now remember, one of the reason why I didn't not have Bradish as high as others did in prospect lists was because I wasn't sure he could stick as an effective starter long term. He's morphed from mainly a fastball-curveball guy to a fastball-hard diving slider guy who mixes in his curve and change occasionally. The slider is clearly his best pitch (41.% Whiff, .148 BA, .178 WOBA, .214 XWOBA, 90.5 EV) but his other offerings have been hit hard and often, including his fastball (15.9% Whiff, .333 BA, .438 WOBA, .386 XWOBA, 92.3 EV). He's using those two pitches 82.2% of the time and getting barreled at 10.% which is 22nd percentile in the league with league average at 6.7%.

It's been just four starts, but we're starting to to see a little bit of some bad trends when it comes to him sticking as a starter long term.

- The more pitches he throws the less effective he is with batters.

- Pitches 1-25:    .278/.381/.278/.659
 - Pitches 26-50: .286/.310/.571/.882
 - Pitcher 51-75:  .400/.429/.680/1.109

- Batter's hit him much better the 2nd time they see him in a game. 

- 1st PA:  .273/.333/.364/.697
 - 2nd PA: .406/.444/.781/1.226

- He has struggled pitching from the stretch

- .429/.452/.893/1.345 in 31 PAs vs .216/.286/.255/.541 in 56 PAs with no one on base from the full.

Now these are all small sample sizes, but they match up a bit to what I saw in the minors at times last year, especially early on before the slider became a weapon. 

It's not to say Bradish won't have game where it works well, but we need to keep an eye on these stats with 2nd time through a lineup and after 25 pitches to see if they come down. If not, it suggests he's better suited for the bullpen longterm. 

This is good info.  Hope that he can fix it.

Seems to have a bulldog mentality though, I have hopes that he can be a key piece for us somewhere in the staff.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is good info.  Hope that he can fix it.

Seems to have a bulldog mentality though, I have hopes that he can be a key piece for us somewhere in the staff.

I love this from Roch's post-game blog:

Asked if facing the Yankees had him amped up more than usual, Bradish was economical with his words.

"No," he said.

GOOD ANSWER

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

A couple of poorly placed pitches and the walk to Choi hurt. Hopefully better results next time. 

He looked like he was on his way to a great night before that one blown strike call. Maybe it got in his head? Either way, his stuff is legit. He'll have some ups and downs as he acclimates. Still hopeful he will work out long-term and be a major contributor. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

It definitely looks like he has no idea where some pitches are going. There’s a Kind of wild in the zone look to his stuff. 

At times he overthrows his pitches but I think it's something that gets better with experience. 

On 5/17/2022 at 8:31 AM, Tony-OH said:

Bradish is a rookie holding his own in his first taste of the big leagues so there's going to be games like last night.

Now remember, one of the reason why I didn't have Bradish as high as others did in prospect lists was because I wasn't sure he could stick as an effective starter long term. He's morphed from mainly a fastball-curveball guy to a fastball-hard diving slider guy who mixes in his curve and change occasionally. The slider is clearly his best pitch (41.% Whiff, .148 BA, .178 WOBA, .214 XWOBA, 90.5 EV) but his other offerings have been hit hard and often, including his fastball (15.9% Whiff, .333 BA, .438 WOBA, .386 XWOBA, 92.3 EV). He's using those two pitches 82.2% of the time and getting barreled at 10.% which is 22nd percentile in the league with league average at 6.7%.

It's been just four starts, but we're starting to to see a little bit of some bad trends when it comes to him sticking as a starter long term.

- The more pitches he throws the less effective he is with batters.

- Pitches 1-25:    .278/.381/.278/.659
 - Pitches 26-50: .286/.310/.571/.882
 - Pitcher 51-75:  .400/.429/.680/1.109

- Batter's hit him much better the 2nd time they see him in a game. 

- 1st PA:  .273/.333/.364/.697
 - 2nd PA: .406/.444/.781/1.226

- He has struggled pitching from the stretch

- .429/.452/.893/1.345 in 31 PAs vs .216/.286/.255/.541 in 56 PAs with no one on base from the full.

Now these are all small sample sizes, but they match up a bit to what I saw in the minors at times last year, especially early on before the slider became a weapon. 

It's not to say Bradish won't have game where it works well, but we need to keep an eye on these stats with 2nd time through a lineup and after 25 pitches to see if they come down. If not, it suggests he's better suited for the bullpen longterm. 

Yeah, Tony, gonna have to call you out on this post that is full of fluff, has no specifics, no actionable intel, provides no insight into the players actual performance, potential, or future role, and completely avoids the important question of his position on the social issues of the day. Seriously, why is this the first site i visit almost every day, and spend more time here than quality time with my wife?

...and just for those that might not get this type of humor, this post it the exact opposite of the implied, mKay?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1