Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Breaking Brad? Great command today. 

At 97 pitches I was hoping to see him go for the CG. As it turned Hyde managed to burn two of our A Squad relievers to get three outs. At least we get Felix back today.

Exciting to see Brandish, Kremer, and Akin all performing closer to expectations and turning into viable long term pieces.

Good point. But one would think Tate is available today--he only faced one batter, threw three pitches.

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

At 97 pitches I was hoping to see him go for the CG. As it turned Hyde managed to burn two of our A Squad relievers to get three outs. At least we get Felix back today.

Exciting to see Brandish, Kremer, and Akin all performing closer to expectations and turning into viable long term pieces.

It was literally a game-winning strategy. His team won the game. His starting pitcher didn’t cough up the lead in the ninth inning. That’s certainly as valid a possibility as Bradish preserving the win. 

I don’t get the back seat driving on the bullpen use. Hyde and the Orioles, and it is the Orioles because it is almost certain that Analytics are involved, have gotten more out of this pitching staff, especially the bullpen, than was imaginable by anyone on the planet. Yet they have earned so little trust that people second guess the micromanagement of their victories. 

• Upvote 3

The fact that Altuve was as fooled and flailing in his fourth at-bat against Bradish I'll take as an omen that his ability can deepen and last--not a flash in the pan, not a once or twice through the order-only pitcher. On the replay it was fun to see Altuve give a gaping "Wow!" in admiration while still in the middle of his swing and miss.

Edited by LA2
  • Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

It was literally a game-winning strategy. His team won the game. His starting pitcher didn’t cough up the lead in the ninth inning. That’s certainly as valid a possibility as Bradish preserving the win. 

I don’t get the back seat driving on the bullpen use. Hyde and the Orioles, and it is the Orioles because it is almost certain that Analytics are involved, have gotten more out of this pitching staff, especially the bullpen, than was imaginable by anyone on the planet. Yet they have earned so little trust that people second guess the micromanagement of their victories. 

It worked out. Cionel allowed two baserunner in a two run game so it very easily could have gone the other way. We have no idea what Brandish would have done but I would have given him a shot, then pulled him at the first baserunner. I am usually on board with Hyde's decisions, just felt this was a case as a fan I wanted to see the CG.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

It worked out. Cionel allowed two baserunner in a two run game so it very easily could have gone the other way. We have no idea what Brandish would have done but I would have given him a shot, then pulled him at the first baserunner. I am usually on board with Hyde's decisions, just felt this was a case as a fan I wanted to see the CG.

CG SHO! I got used to those growing up watching the Orioles--Palmer: 53; Cuellar: 36; McNally: 33. DH, game has changed, etc. I know, but still. At the same time, it was probably the right percentage call and Hyde probably wants his relievers coming in with the bases empty.

3 minutes ago, LA2 said:

CG SHO! I got used to those growing up watching the Orioles--Palmer: 53; Cuellar: 36; McNally: 33. DH, game has changed, etc. I know, but still. At the same time, it was probably the right percentage call and Hyde probably wants his relievers coming in with the bases empty.

And I think Palmer said this was the first game since Means' no hitter that the O's starter completed 8, let alone 9. We might not get a chance at CGSO til next year or who knows when?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I don’t think they will be long term pieces.  Elias is doing exactly the same as Astros did add depth up the middle so you can trade the extra pieces then take a young starter or two in trades for TOR guys to make you World season contenders.  I see one of Bradish or Kremer being the Astros Joe Musgrove who was you pitching prospect in Astros system that was main piece to get Gerrit Cole.  I expect to see them do the same type thing here the question is what pieces they decide to keep and what they decide to trade off and who do they see as the Cole they can get to win a championship.  

13 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

I don’t think they will be long term pieces.  Elias is doing exactly the same as Astros did add depth up the middle so you can trade the extra pieces then take a young starter or two in trades for TOR guys to make you World season contenders.  I see one of Bradish or Kremer being the Astros Joe Musgrove who was you pitching prospect in Astros system that was main piece to get Gerrit Cole.  I expect to see them do the same type thing here the question is what pieces they decide to keep and what they decide to trade off and who do they see as the Cole they can get to win a championship.  

That could work! Lots of ways to play it when you have a strong system *and* payroll flexibility. Exciting time for the organization. I am wondering if Hall might be one of the pieces to trade and Bradish/Kremer might be the keepers.

Last 30 days since his return at the end of July, after the big night Bradish sitting 18th of 44 qualified AL Starting Pitchers in K-BB%, the 24% K rate and 8% BB rate giving him a net result of 16.

Orioles SP in that time frame - Bradish 16, Watkins 15, Voth 15, Kremer 14, Lyles 13.

They have all been Good Enough in front of our bullpen, Bradish is the one I have the most hopes he really has another gear.

Link to all AL SP qualifiers, Last 30 days:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=1&season=2022&month=3&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=9,d&page=1_50

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Last 30 days since his return at the end of July, after the big night Bradish sitting 18th of 44 qualified AL Starting Pitchers in K-BB%, the 24% K rate and 8% BB rate giving him a net result of 16.

Orioles SP in that time frame - Bradish 16, Watkins 15, Voth 15, Kremer 14, Lyles 13.

They have all been Good Enough in front of our bullpen, Bradish is the one I have the most hopes he really has another gear.

Link to all AL SP qualifiers, Last 30 days:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=sta&lg=al&qual=y&type=1&season=2022&month=3&season1=2022&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2022-01-01&enddate=2022-12-31&sort=9,d&page=1_50

Where does Wells (assuming a sound return from injury) stand in your range of hope?

8 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Where does Wells (assuming a sound return from injury) stand in your range of hope?

More with Bradish.    If we have 18 or 27 innings to pitch in early October, Wells and Bradish are the more realistic guys next to the more fanciful Rodriguez and Hall to be the "bulk guys".     Maybe Austin Voth throws like 40 straight curveballs.

The Rays eliminated younger Gerrit Cole's Yankees in 2020 with basically 25% each of Glasnow, Anderson, Fairbanks and Castillo in the game where basically 100% of the fastballs were 99mph.    Felix I'd expect to throw about 50 pitches in the first two games if we get there, and the games themselves are close enough.    I'd also expect him to enter in like the 3rd inning if we were down 0-1 for Game 2.

9 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I know I'm old school but I freaking HATE that they couldnt let the kid pitch the ninth....walk someone, ok, take him out. But hell, he was terrific, never labored late in the game... and only at 96 pitches. I'm sure I'm in the minority, and I understand why they do it...but I dont like it....and never will.

If it was a 6-0 game I would be more inclined to leave him in, but a 2-run lead in Houston can disappear very quickly. And perhaps most of all, he can feel great about the eight innings he threw. It wouldn’t have been the same if he pitched the 9th but then gave up a couple runs (or more).