Fangraphs positional rankings 2022

Frobby

They like Urias, but I think they're undercounting his AB's. I think the rankings would like slightly better if he was listed as the starting 2B, but yeah the 2b/ss/3b area is a clear glaring issue. Maybe we see Westburg/Ortiz up this year. 

The SP rankings might be a tad more interesting, bc I do think we'll see Grayson, DL, and Bradish up

Fielding a 2B/SS/3B unit that can reasonably be ranked 30th/29th/30th in MLB, without the negative impact of an unexpected injury or retirement or similar event, has to be historically bad, doesn't it? 

Just the kind of thing, I repeat myself, that's likely to reduce wins and further deflate fan interest to save a few million dollars. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Why is Urias not considered a 2B? I hope they don't know something we don't know about Odor. Otherwise pretty tough to argue with this. 

Huh? I hope they DO know something the fans don’t. Them  not knowing isn’t good.

Given that Hyde didn't know his starting IF going into camp, fangraphs is making guesses. They have Mateo as the starting SS, and the Orioles signed Odor to a major league deal, so they put him at 2b. Even if you move Urias to 2b though, they're still in the 26-28 range at 2b....unless you project Urias to improve (which fangraphs doesn't). 25 is the Blue Jays with Biggio 

The O’s came in 26th in the starting pitching rankings.  That’s four spots better than I expected.   They’re projected for a 4.98 ERA, which is 1.01 better than last year’s starter ERA.  Honestly, I’d sign for that in blood right now!   Interestingly, their projections assume that Grayson won’t reach the majors this year, but that DL Hall will.   Go figure.   

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-positional-power-rankings-starting-rotation-no-16-30/

Our bullpen is pegged for 28th, at 4.72 ERA.   Again, almost a run better than last year’s 5.70.  

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2022-positional-power-rankings-bullpen-no-16-30/

Neither is good, but the season would be a lot more watchable than last year with a sub-5.00 team ERA.   

On 4/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, spiritof66 said:

Fielding a 2B/SS/3B unit that can reasonably be ranked 30th/29th/30th in MLB, without the negative impact of an unexpected injury or retirement or similar event, has to be historically bad, doesn't it? 

Just the kind of thing, I repeat myself, that's likely to reduce wins and further deflate fan interest to save a few million dollars. 

But would it be worse than last year.  That would seem to be the main competition.  That is really impressive to be last or next to last in 3 out of 4 infield positions with all the other teams tanking.