Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser traded to Marlins

MurphDogg

Velez looks like he could have strike-throwing contests with Stallings.   MLB hitters will probably like those strikes very much, but we'll see.

More oxygen for some of those best waiver claims Baker and Perez.    Deeper in the tea leaves, a whiff of hope DL Hall's remaining minor league innings could number in single digits?

It is going to take all decade to measure the branches of the Cole Sulser tree now.

Tyler Wells, Michael Baumann, all y'all Once Through The Order guys...go.   

Good to see these two teams working together...wonder if Mullins discussed at all, and these were leftovers of something where main course wasn't right (yet?) for one side.    The Marlins buying 2022 wins on a major scale might need their first few months to run good.

Great trade by Elias/O's, IMO.  Getting Velez for Scott/Suiser would have been a fair trade, IMO.  Getting the comp B pick and the 17 year intl guy made it a big win.  Scott had been with the O's forever and Suiser is just meh.  Suiser was one of the O's better relievers last year.  He is never going to better than just another reliever on a good team.  When he was closer, it was just another sign of how bad the O's bullpen was. 

I think the O's did the trade in part so they would have more room for a piggyback starter or two. 

Nothing to really dislike about this trade.

IMO Scott and Sulser aren't that hard to replace, and they didn't make the bullpen that much better.

Guerrero and the pick alone are a decent return, not sure how much better of a deal we could have gotten if they got off to good starts.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What does this do to the 40 man? Obviously two come off it. Do any of these guys go on it?

Nope - the college guy was a 2020 UDFA (after the 5-round year, so not necessarily as bad as that would normally mean).    International guy years and years to go.

Rule V As Good As It Gets coming up next few days.

Our bullpen is going to get absolutely torched but I still like this deal. The draft pick is huge. I imagine Mike's eyes got big as soon as the draft pick was put on the table. Is trading comp picks a thing in the new CBA? I didn't know you could do that unless I have forgotten. I know Duquette used to trade away the international bonus pool money but I don't recall draft picks? 

Velez looks like the antithesis of Scott. Doesn't miss too many bats but 1.0 BB/9 and .877 WHIP.

I haven't seen any Tanner Scott or Cole Sulser appreciation threads, hm. 

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Our bullpen is going to get absolutely torched but I still like this deal. The draft pick is huge. I imagine Mike's eyes got big as soon as the draft pick was put on the table. Is trading comp picks a thing in the new CBA? I didn't know you could do that unless I have forgotten. I know Duquette used to trade away the international bonus pool money but I don't recall draft picks? 

Velez looks like the antithesis of Scott. Doesn't miss too many bats but 1.0 BB/9 and .877 WHIP.

The Orioles under Dan traded away two competitive balance picks to dump contracts.

Well, at least this is one move that we can't say is about saving money.

It appears that the payroll we save is less than the amount that will be added to our draft bonus pool ... and so far the Orioles have pretty much spent almost all of their bonus pools.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I remember the O's trading away at least a couple of comp picks.  I thought the O's traded a comp pick with O'Day, but it was actually Matusz.  I'm sure there was at least one more.   Just another part of Duquette's strategy to sacrifice every part of the future for the present. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

What does this do to the 40 man? Obviously two come off it. Do any of these guys go on it?

No, none of the players acquired will need to be added. They basically opened up the two roster spots for the back up catcher and Owings.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

I remember the O's trading away at least a couple of comp picks.  I thought the O's traded a comp pick with O'Day, but it was actually Matusz.  I'm sure there was at least one more.   Just another part of Duquette's strategy to sacrifice every part of the future for the present. 

Ryan Webb.