Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

I somewhat feel what's good for Vavra is bad for Stowers.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2&stats=bat&qual=y&type=1&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=16,1

Here is the International League by the counting stat wRC....Kyle up to 4th following the big night.

The other International League MVP challengers got the Cleveland Will Benson call-up they needed, and if he sticks it looks like Jonathan Aranda vs. Alec Burleson vs. Kyle Stowers could be the race.     AAA MVP's (Chris Owings was one) for me are mostly Good not Great prospects whose development path puts them there a whole season, and then just outplay probably a small handful of other guys in that situation with their Clubs.

Stowers is ready for the big leagues and the Orioles could get him regular PAs if the team would bench Odor and allow Vavra to play 2B. But, it appears they don't think Vavra can play 2B effectively or they love riding the Odor rollarcoaster of awful bae running, hitting and fielding play offset by late inning heroic homers. lol

Personally I think the team would be better with Stowers playing RF/DH with Santander, Vavra at 2B and Odor on the bench and Nevin back to AAA or DFA'd.

I get the feeling that's why Santander is getting some pregame reps at 1B and Odor at 3B. Both become back ups to those positions, freeing up the Orioles to bring up Stowers and remove Nevin from the roster.

This gives them a better bench and allows them to give Mountcastle, Hays and Santander a day off without losing a ton of offense with McKenna or Phillips. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Stowers is ready for the big leagues and the Orioles could get him regular PAs if the team would bench Odor and allow Vavra to play 2B. But, it appears they don't think Vavra can play 2B effectively or they love riding the Odor rollarcoaster of awful bae running, hitting and fielding play offset by late inning heroic homers. lol

Personally I think the team would be better with Stowers playing RF/DH with Santander, Vavra at 2B and Odor on the bench and Nevin back to AAA or DFA'd.

I get the feeling that's why Santander is getting some pregame reps at 1B and Odor at 3B. Both become back ups to those positions, freeing up the Orioles to bring up Stowers and remove Nevin from the roster.

This gives them a better bench and allows them to give Mountcastle, Hays and Santander a day off without losing a ton of offense with McKenna or Phillips. 

Yeah reading the tea leaves this has to be the reason. Stowers up, Nevin down. Then even more roster flexibility for Hyde.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Watching this Boston game, Stowers is very tentative and slow to react in the outfield.  He let two balls drop in front of him for RBI hits that looked catchable.

He is also slower than he looks like he should be which is kind of the opposite of what I normally feel about guys that come up.  Mountcastle, Adley, and Gunnar all struck me as faster than I expected, e.g.

36 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He is also slower than he looks like he should be which is kind of the opposite of what I normally feel about guys that come up.  Mountcastle, Adley, and Gunnar all struck me as faster than I expected, e.g.

I've been very pleasantly surprised by Mountcastle's speed, and more recently, AR, even Vavra, and blown away by Gunnar.....

So, yes, I am also surprised and a bit perplexed by Stowers foot speed (or perceived lack there of).

Weirdly, it looks like Stowers is tentative, or something mental more than physical ability to move quickly. But just my impression, nothing to back it up.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

Maybe he’ll do some speed training in the offseason.  I recall Mountcastle did that at some point while he was in the upper minors.   

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Watching this Boston game, Stowers is very tentative and slow to react in the outfield.  He let two balls drop in front of him for RBI hits that looked catchable.

That was my impression as the Red Sox got all those singles after the rain delay.   The grass was saturated and one or two were near Mullins too.   We checked Savant and Boston five singles inning generally had xBAs in the .300-.700 range so odds were against them all getting in.

Wondering if announcers or people in the game thread were frustrated?

I believe part of the tentativeness comes from the play recently in LF when he attempted a sliding catch on a ball that went for a double and was criticized on tv for not playing it safe and keeping the ball in front of him and holding the hitter to a single.   I think a run scored on the play as well.   He might be playing it extra safe now.   Just like offense, there's a comfort level and confidence that comes with experience.   Also, they do say it takes time for outfielders to get used to the ML stadiums with 2nd decks.  We'll see.  Hopefully, he can become an average corner outfielder at either spot.

Nice homerun off a lefty today.

Entering the offseason I feel eight positions are mostly set (2B a competition but will probably be someone from inside the organization), but I could see it either way if at DH we go for an Adult in the Room type like Michael Brantley, or if we mostly turn it over to Stowers (feel free to call this RF rather than DH if you think he outfields Santander).

Should he get a bump to the MLB forum like Gunnar?

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Nice homerun off a lefty today.

Entering the offseason I feel eight positions are mostly set (2B a competition but will probably be someone from inside the organization), but I could see it either way if at DH we go for an Adult in the Room type like Michael Brantley, or if we mostly turn it over to Stowers (feel free to call this RF rather than DH if you think he outfields Santander).

Should he get a bump to the MLB forum like Gunnar?

I was interested in Brantley too.  Is he not a capable OF anymore?