Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Glad to heat Caleb is doing some broadcasting. I always thought he would be a natural analyst if he didn't get into coaching. 

I listened to him call the game as well and Caleb did a fantastic job.  It was really cool to hear his insights and also to hear an opposing announcer gushing at our young talent.  He also made a hilarious comment about Adley’s no RBI streak throwing himself under the bus.  Seems like an all around great guy.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Stowers has been heating up of late, and went 3 for 4 with a triple, walk and 3 RBI last night.  Over his last 11 games he’s hit .317/.404/.658, raising his overall OPS to .897.

Used to be, an .897 OPS was something to get excited about. Lol

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Used to be, an .897 OPS was something to get excited about. Lol

It still gets me excited, notwithstanding the exploits of a few others.  Among players with at least 150 PA in the org, only Henderson has a higher OPS, at .987.  Cowser’s been ridiculous at Bowie but if you combine it with Aberdeen he’s at .888.    

One thing I like about Stowers’ season to date is though he’s had minor ups and downs, he’s been pretty consistent month to month: .899, .849, .910, .907.   His BA’s have been .250, .244, .267, .268.   He pretty much is who he is.

He's 15th YTD in the counting stat wRC, in case Trey is still here in a week and we have a chance at reclaiming Ryan Mountcastle's MVP for the organization.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=2&stats=bat&qual=y&type=1&team=&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=16,1

Stowers needs a Will Benson call-up.     Last summer Will Benson gained a special place in the baseball universe for our family fist-bumping the kiddo from the ondeck circle when we got close in for a Baysox game.    By that point I was 70% sure he was a high school multi-millionaire who wasn't going to make it, but he is having himself quite a year.    Pedigree gets lots of chances.

10 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Noticed that Stowers played CF last night. Is that unusual for him, or has he been pencilled in there on a regular basis this season? If it is unusual could that be a signal as to who on the big league squad is on the trade block? 

If you are insinuating that Mullins is going to get traded I would think Hays would move over and play center and Stowers still goes to a corner.

14 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Noticed that Stowers played CF last night. Is that unusual for him, or has he been pencilled in there on a regular basis this season? If it is unusual could that be a signal as to who on the big league squad is on the trade block? 

This year in AAA he's started 33 games in CF, 30 in RF, 9 in LF, 4 at DH.

I don't think he's viewed as an MLB-level CF but he could play there in a pinch if need be.  I think the bigger takeaway there is that despite the big power numbers he's not a bit lumbering guy out there.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If you are insinuating that Mullins is going to get traded I would think Hays would move over and play center and Stowers still goes to a corner.

If Mullins is dealt it wouldn’t surprise me if Hays still patrols the LF canyon for home games with a lesser defensive player in CF. If Aaron Judge can play the position for the Yankees then Stowers can probably do so for us. Is it the optimal choice for every game in every stadium? Nope. But it is an option. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If Mullins is dealt it wouldn’t surprise me if Hays still patrols the LF canyon for home games with a lesser defensive player in CF. If Aaron Judge can play the position for the Yankees then Stowers can probably do so for us. 

If he hits like Judge, I’m cool with him playing CF.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

It still gets me excited, notwithstanding the exploits of a few others.  Among players with at least 150 PA in the org, only Henderson has a higher OPS, at .987.  Cowser’s been ridiculous at Bowie but if you combine it with Aberdeen he’s at .888.    

One thing I like about Stowers’ season to date is though he’s had minor ups and downs, he’s been pretty consistent month to month: .899, .849, .910, .907.   His BA’s have been .250, .244, .267, .268.   He pretty much is who he is.

One really good thing about Stowers that a lot of people overlook is that he has no platoon issues. He actually hits left-handers (1.023) better than right-handers (.831 OPS).

Cowser has major issues with lefthanders so far this year but Henderson has improved his numbers against southpaws this seas to a respectable .722 OPS.

Stowers is ready to play in the major leagues. If Mancini or Santander are moved, gotta imagine he's the replacement.

6 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If Mullins is dealt it wouldn’t surprise me if Hays still patrols the LF canyon for home games with a lesser defensive player in CF. If Aaron Judge can play the position for the Yankees then Stowers can probably do so for us. Is it the optimal choice for every game in every stadium? Nope. But it is an option. 

Surprisingly, Judge has played a slightly above average CF for the Yankees. He's an average runner (50.5 percentile) and has ben worth 1 OAA with a 1% success added in CF.  

So let's compared Judge to Mullins, Hays and McKenna
Player                 Reaction     Burst    Route      Ft vs avg     ft covered/sec
Mullins                  -0.5             1         0.5             0.9              35.6
Judge                    -0.5           -0.2       0.6             -.1              33.9
McKenna               -0.9             1         0.3             0.4             33.7
Hays                      -0.7           -1.4       0.1            -1.4             32.1

Mullins is clearly the best overall with 35.6 ft/sec covered but surprisingly Judge is a little better than McKenna despite McKenna having 97th percentile speed. McKenna's poor reactions (something I pointed out in his scouting reports back in Bowie) hurts his overall effectiveness but he's still above average due to his burst speed.

As or Stowers, it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Stowers reminds me of Nolan Reimold defensively except left-handed. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Surprisingly, Judge has played a slightly above average CF for the Yankees. He's an average runner (50.5 percentile) and has ben worth 1 OAA with a 1% success added in CF.  

So let's compared Judge to Mullins, Hays and McKenna
Player                 Reaction     Burst    Route      Ft vs avg     ft covered/sec
Mullins                  -0.5             1         0.5             0.9              35.6
Judge                    -0.5           -0.2       0.6             -.1              33.9
McKenna               -0.9             1         0.3             0.4             33.7
Hays                      -0.7           -1.4       0.1            -1.4             32.1

Mullins is clearly the best overall with 35.6 ft/sec covered but surprisingly Judge is a little better than McKenna despite McKenna having 97th percentile speed. McKenna's poor reactions (something I pointed out in his scouting reports back in Bowie) hurts his overall effectiveness but he's still above average due to his burst speed.

As or Stowers, it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Stowers reminds me of Nolan Reimold defensively except left-handed. 

I was saying I was a Reimold fan in another thread but comparing Stower's outfield defense seems like the opposite of a compliment.   Even though Reimld had good speed I always felt he was a below average outfielder.   The reports on Stowers suggested he was at least average and maybe better than that.

• Upvote 1