Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I was saying I was a Reimold fan in another thread but comparing Stower's outfield defense seems like the opposite of a compliment.   Even though Reimld had good speed I always felt he was a below average outfielder.   The reports on Stowers suggested he was at least average and maybe better than that.

He had great tools but questionable jumps and routes.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I was saying I was a Reimold fan in another thread but comparing Stower's outfield defense seems like the opposite of a compliment.   Even though Reimld had good speed I always felt he was a below average outfielder.   The reports on Stowers suggested he was at least average and maybe better than that.

Defense is tough to scout because unless you are watching every game, it's hard to get a feel. It's not until they get to the majors that statcast data gives us real data on their jumps, routes and speed.

When I've watched Stowers, I've found him to be an average defensive outfielder, but I don't see him as a game changer out there either. The arm is ok, but nothing special and he's not particularly accurate.

I won't be surprised if he comes out as about average or a little below average on his jumps and routes.

I don't think his defense is going to be a problem, but I don't think its going to be an asset. Saying that, if he can get to 30 bombs a year and walk enough to get his OBP around .340 or so, he'll be just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Because he’s a poor hitter. Have you not noticed?

McKenna has a higher batting average than Rutschman and Mountcastle. Sixth highest on the team.

Vs. Lefties he's batting .294 with a .927 OPS

Maybe he's not such a poor hitter.

38 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Because he’s a poor hitter. Have you not noticed?

1. Baseball is more then hitting, catching the ball matters too 

2. McKenna has a near .700 ops, he’s not that poor a hitter

3. in limited plate appearances he’s managed to post .8 war and is higher then Santander (barely) and mountcastle  among others in WAA

sending down players who are helping you win seems dumb to me…but guess you haven’t noticed 

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

McKenna has a higher batting average than Rutschman and Mountcastle. Sixth highest on the team.

Vs. Lefties he's batting .294 with a .927 OPS

Maybe he's not such a poor hitter.

You think batting average is a good metric to use?

Yes his 257 batting average his higher than Rutschman's 256, but Rutschman has an advantage of 52 points of OBP and 115 points of OPS.

I wouldn't compare the two as being equivalent hitters.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes his 257 batting average his higher than Rutschman's 256, but Rutschman has an advantage of 52 points of OBP and 115 points of OPS.

You either missed my mention of OPS....  or you're just trolling again.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yeah. McKenna isn’t as bad a hitter as some on this board make him out to be, but it’s not the strength of his game either. 

on the other hand, lumping him in with nevin/phillips (and odor who wasn’t even mentioned), is equally ridiculous 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, owknows said:

You either missed my mention of OPS....  or you're just trolling again.

I noticed your mention of his OPS vs Lefties.

That was a fair assessment so I didn't question it.

Citing batting average, specifically mentioning a one point advantage in BA he had over a far superior hitter is questionable.

Personally I think McKenna has been adequate with the bat this season.

But basing your discussion around batting average isn't a good way to illustrate that.

1 minute ago, seak05 said:

Yeah. McKenna isn’t as bad a hitter as some on this board make him out to be, but it’s not the strength of his game either. 

on the other hand, lumping him in with nevin/phillips (and odor who wasn’t even mentioned), is equally ridiculous 

I'll disagree with you here.  McKenna is looking better but I don't think he's a better hitter than Odor.  Play him everyday and I think he sinks more than swims.  Unless he's changed his swing and I missed it.