Chris Owings
Ramón Urías

Outfielders (5)
Austin Hays
Ryan McKenna
Cedric Mullins
Anthony Santander
DJ Stewart

Looks like  missed on the backup catcher with Bembroom and his left-handed stick beating out Nottingham. The Orioles went with an extra outfielder instead of pitcher.

Just now, interloper said:

This is surprising to me considering the concern about innings, but I guess it's the path of least resistance with regards to the 40-man roster. 

I thought McKenna was redundant with Mateo and Owings on the team and they would keep Lowther, but maybe they just want Lowther to pitch everyday down there. They can still bring up guys if they become short after the first few games.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I thought McKenna was redundant with Mateo and Owings on the team and they would keep Lowther, but maybe they just want Lowther to pitch everyday down there. They can still bring up guys if they become short after the first few games.

I get the impression this regime just really doesn't believe in Lowther very much, between the yo-yo last season and the hasty option after he totally lost command in his final spring outing. Because you're right, either Stewart or McKenna could have been optioned with Lowther still on the 40-man roster. 

Just now, interloper said:

I get the impression this regime just really doesn't believe in Lowther very much, between the yo-yo last season and the hasty option after he totally lost command in his final spring outing. Because you're right, either Stewart or McKenna could have been optioned with Lowther still on the 40-man roster. 

I agree. I'm sticking to my guns though and say Lowther will surprise people at the major league level one day. but it will probably be in another organization like Josh Rogers or Zach Pop. Two guys the organizations gave away and who have outperformed players they kept instead.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. I'm sticking to my guns though and say Lowther will surprise people at the major league level one day. but it will probably be in another organization like Josh Rogers or Zach Pop. Two guys the organizations gave away and who have outperformed players they kept instead.

I don't know what I think about him ultimately, but I do like him more than Akin and that's why I was so disappointed/discouraged by that last spring outing. It's one thing to have a rough outing, but walking 4 is just giving them an excuse to make you prove it again in AAA. It's a shame. That said, we will almost certainly see him this season so I hope he can make the best of it when his number is called. 

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Here’s the 28-man roster as the Orioles approach Thursday’s noon deadline:

Pitchers (14)
Keegan Akin
Bryan Baker
Mike Baumann
Félix Bautista
Paul Fry
Joey Krehbiel
Dean Kremer
Jorge López
Jordan Lyles
John Means
Cionel Pérez
Dillon Tate
Tyler Wells
Bruce Zimmermann

Catchers (2)
Anthony Bemboom
Robinson Chirinos

Infielders (7)
Kelvin Gutiérrez
Trey Mancini
Jorge Mateo
Ryan Mountcastle
Rougned Odor
Chris Owings
Ramón Urías

Outfielders (5)
Austin Hays
Ryan McKenna
Cedric Mullins
Anthony Santander
DJ Stewart

Looks like  missed on the backup catcher with Bembroom and his left-handed stick beating out Nottingham. The Orioles went with an extra outfielder instead of pitcher.

Who the flip are these guys 😂

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This.   I don’t put a lot of importance on the OD roster.   We’ll probably be making moves on a weekly basis at least, despite the fact that there are now limits on how often a player can be optioned during the season.  

50 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I mean Josh Rogers threw 36 ML innings last year and posted a 5.83 FIP...I wouldn't necessarily point to him as a success story in another organization.  

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Who the flip are these guys 😂

If you really want to know, I know a great place to find out - and I highly recommend it, it's concise, informative, and up to date. I loved it this season, precisely because there were so many unknowns!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I mean Josh Rogers threw 36 ML innings last year and posted a 5.83 FIP...I wouldn't necessarily point to him as a success story in another organization.  

He also failed to make the Nats out of Spring Training this year, so his fluky 2021 may well be his career high point.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Hyde has hinted that the 5th starter spot isn't set, and that it could be someone brought up, so this 14 pitcher / 14 position player thing could change as of Tuesday.

Lowther is not in the announced 5 man rotation for Norfolk (Smith/Sedlock/Wells/G-Rod/Brnovich).

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Orioles didn't give either Mateo or Owings reps in the OF this spring (and Mateo might be starting SS). With new Camden Yards LF outfield defense feels important this year too. Then again I'm more then ready to move on for Stewart....who can't really play the OF anyways 

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Hyde has hinted that the 5th starter spot isn't set, and that it could be someone brought up, so this 14 pitcher / 14 position player thing could change as of Tuesday.

Lowther is not in the announced 5 man rotation for Norfolk (Smith/Sedlock/Wells/G-Rod/Brnovich).

I think they might see who gets DFAd around the league too. 

• Upvote 1