Drew Rom 2022

MurphDogg

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Someday, Lucy will let Charlie kick that "lefty who knows how to pitch without stellar stuff" football.     Guys like Marco Gonzales occasionally exist, with I guess a guy like Mark Buehrle the Hall of Very Good ceiling.    They do throw pretty AAA numbers!

Curious, after Means growth mindset offseason at the performance place, do you feel Means effectiveness is more stuff or pitchability?

Or Spidertack

12 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Someday, Lucy will let Charlie kick that "lefty who knows how to pitch without stellar stuff" football.     Guys like Marco Gonzales occasionally exist, with I guess a guy like Mark Buehrle the Hall of Very Good ceiling.    They do throw pretty AAA numbers!

Curious, after Means growth mindset offseason at the performance place, do you feel Means effectiveness is more stuff or pitchability?

I'll be honest, I'm going to need somebody to use there "Just Regular" decoder ring to let me know what I was asked? :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I'm going to need somebody to use there "Just Regular" decoder ring to let me know what I was asked? :D

Was wondering your scouting take whether Means succeeded more due to stuff or command?   

Obviously we are all tired of pitch ability Orioles lefties being glorified batting practice pitchers at the MLB level, but not sure if Means would count as one that has made it.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Was wondering your scouting take whether Means succeeded more due to stuff or command?   

Obviously we are all tired of pitch ability Orioles lefties being glorified batting practice pitchers at the MLB level, but not sure if Means would count as one that has made it.

Means wasn't considered much of a prospect before he added velocity.

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Means had an uptick in stuff, particular the changeup and a few extra MPH he gained over an offseason. 

Obviously some guys are able to develop late for whatever reason and that's what happened with Means. Wells and Lowther had better stats up the minor league system and were considered better prospect when Means was in the system. 

Clearly, his development was not expected. Prior to the changeup, I thought he was a bubble 5th starter type and didn't have the left on left breaking ball to move effectively to relief. 

So in my mind, he's not a guy who surprisingly did better with his stuff at the major league level. He's a guy who developed better stuff as he was on the cusp of making the major leagues.

The hope is that Rom can do the same thing, because he has rally struggled with the changeup and doesn't have the velocity to get away without one at the major league level.

• Thanks 1