Coby Mayo 2022

ChuckS

On 5/4/2022 at 12:10 PM, Gofannon said:

He's the anti-Wayne Gross!  Wayne was a 3B who ambled into the hearts of O's fans from Oakland in 1984.

Day (40 games) - 11 HR, 33 RBI, .282/.380/.655 (1.034 OPS)

Night (87 games) - 11 HR, 31 RBI, .185/.331/.341 (.672 OPS)

As a 14 year old with a new Sunday afternoon season ticket plan, Wayne Gross was a hitting machine.

This might be the greatest post in message board history.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 9:33 PM, Sports Guy said:

He’s definitely striking out a lot right now.  3 more tonight.

I really think the K's are a product of the approach the O's are taking. They're trying to master knowledge of the strike zone. That's what their "swing decisions" approach really is all about. 

I wonder if the data says this is true, but my impression is their players are being pretty ultra selective which results in getting deep into pitcher's counts and then naturally striking out more. It's a pure "playing for the future" approach to player development. They care much less if Mayo rakes in A ball than they care about whether he's prepared for the majors. 

See Cowser. See Stowers. 

Just my theory. Not supported by data or any specific reports. Gunnar Henderson would seem to be on the other end of learning this approach, which is amazing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I wonder if the data says this is true, but my impression is their players are being pretty ultra selective which results in getting deep into pitcher's counts and then naturally striking out more.

I heard recently one distillation of baseball's action problem being rooted in today's game state aggregate that "swinging the bat" is an act that has negative run expectancy.    Alex Bregman's given quotes like he only swings if he thinks he can hit a homerun.    Pitches are just data and Dillon Tate's get better and better and danged if anything Robinson Chirinos can do about it with a bat in his hands.

Buck, Fuller, Borgschulte - I think for teens and early 20's it gets cooked down to prioritizing getting your A swing off.

And I suppose mastering your emotions when minor league non-robo umps mess up ball-strike calls.

15 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I really think the K's are a product of the approach the O's are taking. They're trying to master knowledge of the strike zone. That's what their "swing decisions" approach really is all about. 

I wonder if the data says this is true, but my impression is their players are being pretty ultra selective which results in getting deep into pitcher's counts and then naturally striking out more. It's a pure "playing for the future" approach to player development. They care much less if Mayo rakes in A ball than they care about whether he's prepared for the majors. 

See Cowser. See Stowers. 

Just my theory. Not supported by data or any specific reports. Gunnar Henderson would seem to be on the other end of learning this approach, which is amazing.

I think this is absolutely a possibility.  I think they're being told to look for pitches they can drive, and if it's not there, don't swing.  

My concern is - it will take advanced MLB scouts all of about 1 week to notice this.  I think we saw it to some extent with Jahmai Jones.  It was clear pretty quickly that he didn't like the pitch up and in.  So pitchers would pitch him there, he wouldn't swing, and he'd be behind in the count.

I think that approach may be fine to ultimately get you to succeed in the minors.  I'm not sure if it will meet the ultimate goal of succeeding in the majors. 

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

advanced MLB scouts

AI-driven algorithms.

I mean, Tampa is definitely not going to know anything this weekend if Hays and his ouchie fingers are a little flimsier than usual on hard stuff against the Yankees, and definitely not going to customize their roster and attack plans this weekend to try and run it to 24-1 in the last 25 games.

I could buy them just chucking it in there against McKenna-Bannon-Owings though...believe Bats can be so bad as to not give the run preventers anything to really think about.    Here's a generic MLB pitch from my 15th best pitcher*...oh you're out...good.

*Some of what is encouraging about 2022 so far is us doing this to other team's offenses too at a decently competitive rate.

29 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I think this is absolutely a possibility.  I think they're being told to look for pitches they can drive, and if it's not there, don't swing.  

My concern is - it will take advanced MLB scouts all of about 1 week to notice this.  I think we saw it to some extent with Jahmai Jones.  It was clear pretty quickly that he didn't like the pitch up and in.  So pitchers would pitch him there, he wouldn't swing, and he'd be behind in the count.

I think that approach may be fine to ultimately get you to succeed in the minors.  I'm not sure if it will meet the ultimate goal of succeeding in the majors. 

First the pitcher needs to hit the spot and then the ump has to call it a strike.

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

See Cowser. See Stowers. 

Agree.  Banking on a higher HH% supporting a higher babip.  BB% gains offsetting K% loses.

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

See Cowser. See Stowers. 

Yep. Nailed it IMO.

b

On 5/16/2022 at 11:01 AM, glenn__davis said:

I wonder if this approach works for guys with premium ML bats like Bregman and actually makes guys like Jones worse.  A guy with elite bat speed can get away with getting behind in tons of counts, but it might sink a guy who isn't going to be able to catch up to a high 90's pitcher's pitch.

43 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

b

I wonder if this approach works for guys with premium ML bats like Bregman and actually makes guys like Jones worse.  A guy with elite bat speed can get away with getting behind in tons of counts, but it might sink a guy who isn't going to be able to catch up to a high 90's pitcher's pitch.

It's not about getting behind in counts. It's about getting ahead in counts but it's also about not swinging at pitchers pitches because, generally speaking, no batter consistently hits pitcher's pitches well.  A well placed high 90's fastball gets 100% of ML hitters most of the time.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Btw, Coby has been scuffling.  Great to see him with a big night.

I checked the box score before the HRs and his OPS was at .730ish now after those two HRs it’s at .811. So if you just look at the numbers he goes from “scuffling” to “adjusting just fine to A+ ball”. What a difference a game makes, but long term that is going to be Mayo’s game… Power. 

• Upvote 2