Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

I was very against the Kjerstad and Cowser picks.  So far, despite praying Elias got it right, those two have done nothing to be hopeful about.  There is still time for them both but the clock is ticking and the pressure is mounting for this year.  Elias really can't waste three straight, extremely high first round picks.

Can we wait until Kjerstad actually plays some games before pronouncing that pick a mistake?    What happened there is just plain bad luck.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I believe the team/he was trying to tap into some extra power to expand his ceiling while trusting his bat-to-ball hit tool to do the rest.  Times of change always has a risk of failure.  

Per Meoli above, it sounds like Cowser's tossing those adjustments and basically admitting defeat in applying those changes.  (I wonder if it's a club decision or a player decision?)  Expecting/hoping to see less K's and more hits over the ROS.

This might be a case where it's just better to let the player find what works for him.  Maybe he never taps into his power or maybe he gradually learns when to turn on a pitch and pull it.  Don Mattingly was a 10-15 homer guy in the minors and at the beginning of his ML career.   

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Cowser's season is definitely reaching the "very alarming" stage. When Kyle Stowers was unproductive there were several positives that provided hope that it was a bit of bad luck and mainly a SSS issue. There are significantly fewer positives to find in Cowser's performance. Like all of you, I am hoping he turns it around ASAP. 

Meanwhile here is how Lawlar is doing:

7 homers

over 1000 ops

Again, nothing against Cowser, but you don’t pass on a stud SS prospect for another corner OFer. 

https://www.milb.com/player/jordan-lawlar-691783

6 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Meanwhile here is how Lawlar is doing:

7 homers

over 1000 ops

Again, nothing against Cowser, but you don’t pass on a stud SS prospect for another corner OFer. 

https://www.milb.com/player/jordan-lawlar-691783

Well, I think it's pretty likely if they really believed he was a "stud" SS, they would have picked him.   He looks great so far.  We'll see.  I could show you a lot of guys who had huge seasons in Low A and never amounted to much.   Just saying.

Having said the above, I agree that Lawlar looks like a "stud" so far.    The California league, like the PCL, is a notorious hitters league from what I recall.   Just pointing things out.  He looks great but let's not go overboard just yet.   He's got a long way to go.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Well, I think it's pretty likely if they really believed he was a "stud" SS, they would have picked him.   He looks great so far.  We'll see.  I could show you a lot of guys who had huge seasons in Low A and never amounted to much.   Just saying.

Having said the above, I agree that Lawlar looks like a "stud" so far.    The California league, like the PCL, is a notorious hitters league from what I recall.   Just pointing things out.  He looks great but let's not go overboard just yet.   He's got a long way to go.

Thx, regardless my main point is when rebuilding, why go corner OF twice over a LHP and a SS? Strong up the middle and pitching wins championships. Just don’t understand the logic at all. Appreciate the response and point taken on the league overall but still progressing much more than last 2 first rounders. Just frustrating. Sadly, I expect another poor decision this year. 

16 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Thx, regardless my main point is when rebuilding, why go corner OF twice over a LHP and a SS? Strong up the middle and pitching wins championships. Just don’t understand the logic at all. Appreciate the response and point taken on the league overall but still progressing much more than last 2 first rounders. Just frustrating. Sadly, I expect another poor decision this year. 

1. Cowser might be a corner OF but you keep ignoring the fact that some, inlcuding Baseball America, felt he was a CF who could stick there at least a few seasons.   He was described as a plus runner with a good arm.

2. You're not supposed to draft for need so I think you'd agree that you shouldn't draft a LHP or SS just because you NEED one.

3. You keep talking about Kjerstad as if he hasn't performed well.   He hasn't played.   It was something totally unforeseen.   You can't judge him yet.  But you keep doing it.

4. Another poor decision?   It hasn't been proven YET that any of the picks were poor decisions.    Early returns put the 2021 pick into question for sure.

5. Strong up the middle and pitching wins championships.  Tough to argue with that.   Rutschman, Westburg, Henderson, Prieto (not drafted), Cowser (Yes, he can play CF).    All of those guys are potentially up the middle players.   Trimble is a CF and he's out for the year.  Just drafted last year.   So, I'd argue that Elias agrees about "up the middle".     He obviously has different ideas on how to get the pitching.    

• Upvote 1

I’m an Elias supporter and I hated the pick at the time and still hate the pick now.  I don’t know how a rebuilding team passes on a high ceiling SS talent.  With that said, I’m going to pull for Cowser just as much as any other O’s player.  He’s ours now for better or for worse.  I’ve not been impressed at all in the games I’ve seen him play, I’m hoping he can turn things around and start to rake.  Seems like a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders.  Baseball is tough, let’s see if he can figure some things out. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea Cowser just needs to concentrate on hitting, walking and not striking out a lot.  He can be Markakis and that would be just fine.

I did notice he is 12-13 stealing bases. 

Did you see that the minor leagues have a rule that a pitcher can only make two pickoff throws?   If they make a third, a ball is called unless the pickoff actually works.  So, you can bet some guys are getting good jumps after they’ve drawn two throws.  

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

You love to bring up Lacy and yet ignore the fact that the early returns on that pick are pretty poor too.  Can't stay healthy, terrible command.  He gives off big time reliever vibes. 

4 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

You love to bring up Lacy and yet ignore the fact that the early returns on that pick are pretty poor too.  Can't stay healthy, terrible command.  He gives off big time reliever vibes. 

Could be a bad pick too, agreed. But sticking by what I would have done to be fair. Kerjstad pick made some sense that we got Baumer but taking CC over Lawlar was the big mistake in my eyes. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Did you see that the minor leagues have a rule that a pitcher can only make two pickoff throws?   If they make a third, a ball is called unless the pickoff actually works.  So, you can bet some guys are getting good jumps after they’ve drawn two throws.  

I'm sure the rule is helping in some cases but I also bet that pitchers aren't throwing over even once unless there's a lot of daylight over there.    It would be dumb to make the second throw unless the runner was dead to rights.

22 hours ago, RZNJ said:

2 games consecutively with no strikeouts.  I believe that's the first time he's accomplished that feat this season.  I'm looking for any kind of sign!  Lol

Back on the strike out train again tonight.  Sigh..

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I started a thread a few weeks ago commenting on the fantastic stolen base numbers of O’s affiliates.  I thought it was the product of something the organization did (e.g. better athletes, better coaching, etc.).  Now, I’ll need to take a look at other organizations to see if this is MiLB wide do to a rule change.  If so, that’s disappointing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

This was mentioned by one of the away announcing teams the other day.  The far more interesting thing is because they were limited with throw overs, AND there is a clock, guys can just take off at 2-3 seconds knowing the pitchers either can't or won't throw over.

Unintended consequences.

The crew seemed to expect it to manifest itself at the big league level, as it had in the minors, and become part of the game.