Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

Did that say 309 down the left field line? Out in OPACY 🤣. In all seriousness tho, rooting hard for him. I've been dying for the Tides to come my way and their one week set isn't until mid-September. Womp womp. Thinking most of the goodies will be graduated already but maybe I'll get lucky and Cowser, et al get promotions around then...

16 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Whatever the Os were trying to do to Cowser to start the season, don’t ever do it again!

1 minute ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Amen brother!!!!

Seems to me that whatever they tried to do has more or less worked.  I’d be interested to hear what Cowser is saying these days.   ISO is way up from last year.  

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Huh? He literally said he was struggling with the adjustments. 

He mentioned taking pitches he would normally swing at.   That's the only thing he was specific about.  Before the season he was shown some areas he might be able to improve upon. No specifics but the inference was that it had to do with tapping into his power more.

15 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Huh? He literally said he was struggling with the adjustments. 

But did he completely abandon them, or just dial them back?  I think we will hear more on this as time passes.  Anyway, he’s got a 1.194 OPS at Bowie so whatever he’s doing now, it’s working.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

But did he completely abandon them, or just dial them back?  I think we will hear more on this as time passes.  Anyway, he’s got a 1.194 OPS at Bowie so whatever he’s doing now, it’s working.  

It could also be park effects. Lots of people on this board pointed out that Bowie is much more of a hitter's park than Aberdeen at the time Cowser was promoted to Bowie, and that Cowser would likely have a lot more success in Bowie.

I'm glad to see it either way, but I lean more towards him abandoning the changes and returning to what made him successful, and/or Bowie being a better hitting environment in general.

In 2021, Cowser had 45 hits. 32 singles.  8 doubles, 2 homers.

In 2022, Cowser has 73 hits. 40 singles. 22 doubles, 2 triples, 9 home runs.

Do the math. If 2021 was the old Cowser then 2022 is not the same old Cowser.  

Also, the strikeouts.  There's a tradeoff.  Damage per contact.

• Upvote 4

With Cowser accelerating at Step 3 of 4 on the minors ladder, here's this side by side as he works back towards his best case scenario.

Career minors games at full-season levels

Bregman: 29-37-62-18

Cowser: 25-62-14

https://www.mlb.com/news/colton-coswer-robs-home-run-slugs-two-long-balls-in-doubleheader?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

If Bowie can challenge for 2nd half division title, circumstances might hold his AAA month or two until all next year.   That AAA month or two next year is probably going to be there where he gets the September cup of coffee or not.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

In 2021, Cowser had 45 hits. 32 singles.  8 doubles, 2 homers.

In 2022, Cowser has 73 hits. 40 singles. 22 doubles, 2 triples, 9 home runs.

Do the math. If 2021 was the old Cowser then 2022 is not the same old Cowser.  

Also, the strikeouts.  There's a tradeoff.  Damage per contact.

You obviously take the increased power with the more Ks.

I still go back to the Markakis comp for him and the one thing that bothered me about Nick was that I don’t think he ever hit for the average he should have.  Markakis should have competed for batting titles in most seasons and he really never did.

Can Cowser give you that better BA/OBP combo that Nick didn’t.  Not that it wasn’t good for Nick, I just felt with his skill set that it should have been better.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You obviously take the increased power with the more Ks.

I still go back to the Markakis comp for him and the one thing that bothered me about Nick was that I don’t think he ever hit for the average he should have.  Markakis should have competed for batting titles in most seasons and he really never did.

Can Cowser give you that better BA/OBP combo that Nick didn’t.  Not that it wasn’t good for Nick, I just felt with his skill set that it should have been better.  

I have no idea. I know Markais was listed at 6'2 and Cowser at 6'3 but Cowser looks like a bigger guy to me. He's kind of tall and lanky but I think he's just scratching the surface on the power.  He pulled one last night and if he starts pulling more balls in the air, watch out.