Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

Cowser may be getting his land legs in AAA.  In typical Cowser fashion, he’s managed a .349 OBP even though he’s still a couple of hits under the Mendoza line.  He’s played 14 games so far, and there are 13 games to go. Still plenty of time to finish with a decent AAA line.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I know Cowser struggled early on in AAA, but is there anyway we consider calling him up for the last handful of games if we’re in it?  He’d be a better COF option than Stowers, Vavra, and Hays. As long as Cowser doesn’t crap the bed the next two weeks. Why not?

Considering that he was striking out about 50% of the time until his last 3 games, doesn’t need to be on the 40 man this winter, is unlikely to start next season with the Os, I’d say it’s highly unlikely he’d be called up and highly unlikely he’d help that much offensively.   He’s still trying to figure out AAA pitching.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Considering that he was striking out about 50% of the time until his last 3 games, doesn’t need to be on the 40 man this winter, is unlikely to start next season with the Os, I’d say it’s highly unlikely he’d be called up and highly unlikely he’d help that much offensively.   He’s still trying to figure out AAA pitching.

I agree with all your points, with the fact he doesn't need to be added to the roster being the biggest one I imagine that would prevent him from playing in a couple of games for the heck of it.

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Yep.  He's rebounded very nicely (crossed fingers) and making more consistent contact.   I believe that's 2 homers of 4 against LHP at Norfolk.  Best swing in the system.   He's also a big guy.   

Something I’ve observed and heard about him is he’s a relaxed guy who doesn’t change demeanor when he struggles and is fun to be around.  He’ll be a good addition to our clubhouse when he’s ready.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Something I’ve observed and heard about him is he’s a relaxed guy who doesn’t change demeanor when he struggles and is fun to be around.  He’ll be a good addition to our clubhouse when he’s ready.  

That's a good thing because between his first two months in Aberdeen and his start at Norfolk it's been some pretty wild times.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s cooled off a bit over the last week, but yeah.  He’s been something to watch in the second half.  

As I said recently, Cowser is the one guy I watch who looks like he has the most potential to be an elite hitter.   The strikeouts bother me and confound me but the swing and the effortless power are impressive.   He's also a lot stronger than I realized.  He's one of those long-limmed guys who kind of fools you.   BTW, Cowser is sitting on 18 homers, which is impressive already, but another 2 would make a very nice round number.   I think there's a lot more in there too.

Edited by RZNJ