Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I think the decision could be approached in terms of who are the better players to stay not necessarily who are the younger to push the guys with service off the roster.

The better players should stay, then the excess can be traded? 

At some point, because we have so much minor league talent, there is going to be a logjam. But that’s a good thing in my opinion because that is what gives you great depth and what will allows us in the future to acquire elite big league talent that can push us over the top for a World Series push. Maybe even starting next year?

The rule 5 will start to be an issue maybe as early as this year but certainly during the 23-24 offseason. I would like to see some of these prospects traded for younger prospects to recreate the "pipeline" and spread out the prospects. They are getting kind of heavy at the top levels of MiLB

14 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

The rule 5 will start to be an issue maybe as early as this year but certainly during the 23-24 offseason. I would like to see some of these prospects traded for younger prospects to recreate the "pipeline" and spread out the prospects. They are getting kind of heavy at the top levels of MiLB

That is a way that they could go, more in the Tampa mold.

Another way they could go, is to take some of the prospects that are blocked and trade for better major league talent. That’s what I would prefer. 

I truly hope that this is the last year for a LONG TIME where the primary goal of the org is not to win a World Series. It’s great to be too in the prospect/minor league rankings, but what is better IMO is to be top’s in the bigs. I have probably lived half of my life already with no memories of an O’s World Series championship. The last time the won I wasn’t even in preschool…lol

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If he plays well at AAA this last month, I wonder how real his chances are of starting next year in Baltimore from day 1.

Not high I’d say.   He’ll get what, about 100 PA in AAA this year?   Elias usually waits until 200 PA or so before considering a promotion.  However, I do think he may get a long look in spring training, so anything’s possible.  

Here’s a semi-cool fact: Colton Cowser hit a home run in his first at bat for Bowie, and hit a walk-off homer in his last at bat for Bowie.   

Why is it only “semi” cool?   Well, his first at bat for Bowie was actually his second plate appearance.   He walked in his first PA so his 2nd PA was his first at bat.   

Any way you slice it, .341/.469/.568 is a dominant performance.  Nice to see his power really ticking up while he maintains elite on base skills.   I’m excited to see what his month at Norfolk looks like.  

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

That is a way that they could go, more in the Tampa mold.

Another way they could go, is to take some of the prospects that are blocked and trade for better major league talent. That’s what I would prefer. 

I truly hope that this is the last year for a LONG TIME where the primary goal of the org is not to win a World Series. It’s great to be too in the prospect/minor league rankings, but what is better IMO is to be top’s in the bigs. I have probably lived half of my life already with no memories of an O’s World Series championship. The last time the won I wasn’t even in preschool…lol

I certainly agree with that approach. I was specifically referring to trades rather than simply losing guys to the R5. That's why I used the term "some of these prospects." I think I would rather see what we have in Gunner, Westbrook, Ortiz, Cowser, etc... before we start trading for guys who block them. But, of course, it would depend on who they were able to get and who they had to give up. 

Edited by MCO'sFan

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

If he plays well at AAA this last month, I wonder how real his chances are of starting next year in Baltimore from day 1.

If he plays well over the last month in AAA and then has a good spring next year, I think he could be in the running for an opening day spot, but that would require some offseason trades of one of the major league outfielders and some kind of terrible spring by Stowers.

Most likely I see him starting next year in AAA and would be the "Stowers guy" in AAA, ready to come up in need in the OF. 

Also, the one thing everyone has to keep in mind is he hasn't hit lefties this year, slashing .196/.309/.250/.559 off them in 110 PAs. This is an area you really want to see him improve upon or he becomes a platoon option down the road.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If he plays well over the last month in AAA and then has a good spring next year, i think he could be in the running for and opening day spot, but that would require some offseason trades of one of the major league outfielders and some kind of terrible spring by Stowers.

Most likely I see him starting next year in AAA and would be the "Stowers guy" in AAA, ready to come up in need in the OF. 

Also, the one thing everyone has to keep in mind is he hasn't hit lefties this year, slashing .196/.309/.250/.559 off them in 110 PAs. This is an area you really want to see him improve upon or he becomes a platoon option down the road.

He uses the whole field so I do think he'll come around and improve in that area.  There are a few oddities about a player who seems to be such a pure type of hitter.   His weakness, so far, against LHP is one.    The other is the high strikeout rate for a guy who is "hitterish", uses the whole field, and doesn't sell out for power.

I think after the extra year of control deadline is when he will be in the mix.  Our outfield/DH spot next year is going to be very platoon like, and I don't think we're going to be as locked in as we are this year with a set lineup there.  Mullins will be the mainstay in CF, but then I see a platoon in the corners between Hays, Stowers, Mckenna, Vavra and eventually Cowser, with the DH spot also in play if we trade Santander or Mountcastle.  Assuming Santander could play some 1B.

We're going to have some serious position player depth next year.  Infield and Outfield.  Now we may have to spend a little bit of money so we don't have to punt at C every sunday when AR needs a day off.