Colton Cowser 2022

ShoelesJoe

On 9/1/2022 at 3:15 PM, byrdz said:

Really all you need is the url up to and including the the number of the Tweet. 

So this, https://twitter.com/BSLOnTheVerge/status/1565408014479376384

You may need to toggle the rich text popup at the bottom to get it to show.

In addition, you have t let the tweet load before submitting the post or it won't show.

As for Cowser, it's been an interesting season for him so far for sure. Lots of highs and lows for him, but I expect him to make the AAA adjustments soon. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

Has there ever been a guy that is supposed to have such good bat to ball skills that has struggled so mightily for long periods?  I have no idea what to think of Cowser   He is batting .122

It’s been 41 ABs. Might wanna give it some time. His OPS is .865 on the season across 3 levels. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is a big offseason coming up for Cowser. Hopefully he works his butt off, has a big ST, and is only in AAA 15 days. 

Not likely IMO.   Elias typically has gotten our players about 200-250 PA at a level before promoting them.  

Vavra 208 AAA at bats

Rutschman 238

Henderson 295

Stowers 500

Cowser probably will finish the season around 110 PA in AAA.   I expect he’ll get at least that many next year before the O’s consider a call-up.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not likely IMO.   Elias typically has gotten our players about 200-250 PA at a level before promoting them.  

Vavra 208 AAA at bats

Rutschman 238

Henderson 295

Stowers 500

Cowser probably will finish the season around 110 PA in AAA.   I expect he’ll get at least that many next year before the O’s consider a call-up.   

He could go to the AFL, plus a full MLB ST.  

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the AFL would matter.  Pitching there is usually a step down from AAA.  I do think he’ll get a good number of ST at bats.  

Cowser gives the O's more options this offseason than they would otherwise have, including trading any of our top 4 ML outfielders. If they need a day 1 fill-in, Cowser can be that guy. If not, they'll probably let him cook a little bit.

My guess is they trade one of the top 4, go with the other 3 (plus McKenna) on opening day, let Cowser cook and then promote him atthe expense of a util player/DH type when they have gained another year of service time. 

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

I hope Cowser forces them to strongly consider an OD spot so they can stuff the ROY ballot box with Gunnar, Grayson, and Cowser.  Not sure what other prospects are on the precipice, but that's as a strong a group of contenders for that extra draft pick that we'll see.

I just want them to put the best team on the field from day one.  If Cowser shows he deserves it, put him out there.  If he looks like he needs more AAA seasoning, do that.   I’m not going to prejudge which scenario will be the case.   But the burden of proof is very much on Cowser, who won’t have had much AAA time and has had some challenges adjusting to that level in the early going.  I think Elias’ general inclination will be to need clear evidence that he’s the best alternative and is ready.  

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think the AFL would matter.  Pitching there is usually a step down from AAA.  I do think he’ll get a good number of ST at bats.  

I think the amount of ABs in ST, plus the 15 days in AAA, will be enough to call him up.  Of course, he has to be healthy and performing.  I would error on the side of caution and not send him to the AFL.  Let him immediately work with our coaching staff and conditioning coaches, with the goal being to basically be with the big club after the service time barrier.  Then you pencil him into RF the next 7 years.  Not worried about Cowser.  

59 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I hope Cowser forces them to strongly consider an OD spot so they can stuff the ROY ballot box with Gunnar, Grayson, and Cowser.  Not sure what other prospects are on the precipice, but that's as a strong a group of contenders for that extra draft pick that we'll see.

Using AAA as the cutoff, the other two legit prospects on the precipice are Ortiz and Westburg. I think Mateo's as good as gone. Certainly Odor too.