Orioles option DJ Stewart

Legend_Of_Joey

6 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

Hopefully after another 3 games Odor can smell his way out the door. 

With Odor do the Orioles still have to pay him the veteran minimum or not? I know the Rangers are still paying Odor's contract, but is it like other free agent contracts where the Orioles are still on the hook for the veteran minimum amount owed. 

9 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

With Odor do the Orioles still have to pay him the veteran minimum or not? I know the Rangers are still paying Odor's contract, but is it like other free agent contracts where the Orioles are still on the hook for the veteran minimum amount owed. 

They are paying him 700k.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I dont think you bring up Diaz until he can get regular at bats.  He needs the at bats.  He doesn’t need to come up here and rot on the bench.

How good is Diaz defensively? If his range is more like Hays I think you can rotate him in, if it’s more like Santander…then yeah AB’s will be tough 

2 minutes ago, seak05 said:

How good is Diaz defensively? If his range is more like Hays I think you can rotate him in, if it’s more like Santander…then yeah AB’s will be tough 

Always has had a strong arm but don’t think he is known for his range.  

He needs either one of the OFers, Mancini or Mountcastle to struggle, get traded or be hurt to get up here imo.  At least for the time being.

But he needs at bats for now.  He just hasn’t had them because of injury issues.  If he could get into 4 or so games a week right now, I would say to bring him up but he can’t, so keep him down and just let him play.

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are starting Mancini in the outfield why is McKenna on the roster?

In your effort to always find fault, you miss the obvious answers sometimes. 

1. Anthony Santander is injured a lot.

2. You want to give him some rest at DH throughout the year.

3. But you also want to keep Trey's and Hays' bats in the lineup as much as possible.

4. Ergo, Trey will see some easy COF time now and then.

It's not that hard. 

53 minutes ago, interloper said:

In your effort to always find fault, you miss the obvious answers sometimes. 

1. Anthony Santander is injured a lot.

2. You want to give him some rest at DH throughout the year.

3. But you also want to keep Trey's and Hays' bats in the lineup as much as possible.

4. Ergo, Trey will see some easy COF time now and then.

It's not that hard. 

And you always want to defend them.  Why is that better?

That said, none of these answers actually addresses his point. McKenna’s place on the team is seemingly as the 4th OFer.  If Trey is going to be used as the 4th OFer, why have McKenna here and not playing everyday in the minors?

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And you always want to defend them.  Why is that better?

That said, none of these answers actually addresses his point. McKenna’s place on the team is seemingly as the 4th OFer.  If Trey is going to be used as the 4th OFer, why have McKenna here and not playing everyday in the minors?

I don't think they view McKenna has an everyday option and if he has a role on the team going forward it's as a 4th or 5th OF with speed and good defense. Given that, it wouldn't make sense to keep grooming him as a starter, but rather getting used to the reserve role. Plus, with Mancini in the OF, there are several situations where it would make sense for McKenna to come in for defense (assuming we ever have a lead). 

If they viewed McKenna as having a chance of developing into an everyday player he would be in AAA getting ABs. McKenna's got the defense and speed to keep him in the majors in a reserve role. 

18 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I don't think they view McKenna has an everyday option and if he has a role on the team going forward it's as a 4th or 5th OF with speed and good defense. Given that, it wouldn't make sense to keep grooming him as a starter, but rather getting used to the reserve role. Plus, with Mancini in the OF, there are several situations where it would make sense for McKenna to come in for defense (assuming we ever have a lead). 

If they viewed McKenna as having a chance of developing into an everyday player he would be in AAA getting ABs. McKenna's got the defense and speed to keep him in the majors in a reserve role. 

And I’m fine with that.  I tend to agree with your point here.

But I also can see why CoC asked the question.  It’s not an invalid question to ask and just because he asked it, doesn’t mean he is bashing the team, as interloper insinuated.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I dont think you bring up Diaz until he can get regular at bats.  He needs the at bats.  He doesn’t need to come up here and rot on the bench.

I'd like to see him play every day up here, but I am probably in the minority.