Austin Hays 2022

Ohfan67

Hays is one of those guys where the numbers don’t even tell the whole story. It seems like every night he does something positive to impact the game, either in the field, at the plate, or both.   And, his enthusiasm and obvious love of the game are infectious.    

• Upvote 2

Just now, Frobby said:

Hays is one of those guys where the numbers don’t even tell the whole story. It seems like every night he does something positive to impact the game, either in the field, at the plate, or both.   And, his enthusiasm and obvious love of the game are infectious.    

It’s just great to see him getting past the health issues that plagued him.

Talent has never been his issue but availability and consistent playing time just weren’t there for him and now that they have been, he’s thriving.  It’s not that surprising.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but how in the h$ll does he have -.2 DWAR (baseball reference) at this point in the season?  I know the baseline is higher for Replacement players when it comes to Defense, but still I can't make sense of it

All of the defensive metrics say he is average or below average.  

1 hour ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Sorry if this has been addressed, but how in the h$ll does he have -.2 DWAR (baseball reference) at this point in the season?  I know the baseline is higher for Replacement players when it comes to Defense, but still I can't make sense of it

He is also -3 OAA, prior to last night he was -4 OAA and like the fourth worst defensive outfielder in baseball. I tried to play with it a little bit and I think it comes down to him having missed some relatively easy plays, as well he has poor initial reads, and pour routes. 

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, baseball savant has him at a very low jump percentage.

This is the type of thing we don't see on camera and why the eye test is such a difficult thing to rely on.

True.  It reminds me of Jay Gibbons diving for balls most outfielders would have caught in stride.  Either because he didn't have the speed or the jump wasn't good.  

Funny thing is, he was ranked first in RF/game and RF/9 innings as a LFer last year.  He is not in the top 10 this year, but could that be because he has been back and forth between right and left this year with a little bit of CF.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, baseball savant has him at a very low jump percentage.

This is the type of thing we don't see on camera and why the eye test is such a difficult thing to rely on.

Yeah, I’m having a hard time disbelieving my eyes on this one.   For the record: 

Rdrs: + 1

Rtot: -8

UZR: + 1.5

OAA: -3

So, it’s a bit of a Rorschach test.  It may be the case that Hays gets below average jumps on balls that we don’t see on TV, but I can’t say I’ve seen a lot of plays where he failed to reach a ball that I expected him to reach off the bat.   He can play LF or RF for me any day.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, byrdz said:

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why Hays and Santander swapped positions for last nights White Sox game?

I've been wondering what if anything to read into LF-RF assignments too.   Maybe Hays slowing down, and the RF Arm is becoming his most distinctive OF attribute, and Santander versatility just being showcased for trade market?

Santander in the Arb3 on-deck circle the interesting case for me next month of how Raysian Elias' Orioles are going to be. 

Longer term thinking, maybe they feel Stowers is the LF in a Hays corner pair, and Santander a bigger DH share of time.  Stowers just five LF games YTD at Norfolk, though they had him there in Toronto.

• Upvote 1