Austin Hays 2022

Ohfan67

36 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No, he wasn't.  He was a smidge over replacement the three years prior to coming to Baltimore.  The Mariners thought so much of him that they let him go for Steve Clevinger, the Chance Sisco of 2015.

You could say a very similar thing about Nelson Cruz before we picked him up.  They made an external acquisition that they planned on being an everyday regular.  I guess we can debate the meaning of significant, but that's enough for me.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Yeah they did.  Traded Arrieta.  Traded Rodriguez.  Traded Davies.   Traded Heim.  All for 2 month rentals.   

They did that during the season.  I’m talking about after the season, which is when they knew what they had, what they accomplished and what they needed to do to get better.

Arguing they did everything they could after 2012 and 2014 to be better is wrong.

Edited by Sports Guy

What were the blockbuster moves in the winter of 2013?   Nelson Cruz?

I honestly don’t remember but was the 2014 team basically the 2013 team plus Cruz?  

The point would be that no one complains about the prior winter when the team wins.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

What were the blockbuster moves in the winter of 2013?   Nelson Cruz?

I honestly don’t remember but was the 2014 team basically the 2013 team plus Cruz?  

The point would be that no one complains about the prior winter when the team wins.

What were the blockbuster moves in the offseaon of 2011 that led to 2012?  Which ones in 2015 led to 2016?

This is the worst kind of confirmation bias.

But this is to all set up the winter narrative.  That we'll get to hear about ad nauseam.  

• Upvote 1

The B-Ref offseason transactions pages are some of my favorite on the site.    

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2012-transactions.shtml

The famous SP rebuild - Wei-Yin Chen 1/10, Jason Hammel 2/6, Miguel Gonzalez 3/4, Dontrelle Willis 3/20, Joel Pineiro 4/11.    It couldn't have all happened without the indispensable Ryan Flaherty Rule 5 pick earlier that winter.

It'll be so great if by the Super Bowl all we've added to the 2023 staff is a wildcard international free agent.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The B-Ref offseason transactions pages are some of my favorite on the site.    

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2012-transactions.shtml

The famous SP rebuild - Wei-Yin Chen 1/10, Jason Hammel 2/6, Miguel Gonzalez 3/4, Dontrelle Willis 3/20, Joel Pineiro 4/11.    It couldn't have all happened without the indispensable Ryan Flaherty Rule 5 pick earlier that winter.

It'll be so great if by the Super Bowl all we've added to the 2023 staff is a wildcard international free agent.

Now, those were some blockbuster moves.

The big moves in the off-season of 2013 were trading our 50 save closer, acquiring non descript Brad Bach, signing Delmon Young as a minor league FA, and signing a FA in March, Nelson Cruz, who no one else seemed to want.  That’s the definition of an el sucko off-season.  That’s not even trying to win.  Somehow an 85 win team became a 96 win team.  Why isn’t that off-season mentioned?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

You could say a very similar thing about Nelson Cruz before we picked him up.  They made an external acquisition that they planned on being an everyday regular.  I guess we can debate the meaning of significant, but that's enough for me.

Cruz was a different case because he had missed 50 games the season prior for a Biogenesis PED suspension, and he was looking for a short, relatively cheap one year deal to rebuild his value.

5 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Cruz was a different case because he had missed 50 games the season prior for a Biogenesis PED suspension, and he was looking for a short, relatively cheap one year deal to rebuild his value.

Neither of them were "blockbuster" acquisitions at the time.  I did consider them both significant acquisitions however.  Nelson was probably a slight cut above Trumbo but they were hardly categorically different.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's so odd that after Cruz was caught w/ the PED suspension, his career really took off.  Of course he never got caught, eh, I mean cheated again.

10 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It's so odd that after Cruz was caught w/ the PED suspension, his career really took off.  Of course he never got caught, eh, I mean cheated again.

Well, he never failed a test and the money was good so connect the dots.

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is Hays just taking the high road?  He doesn't mention being hindered by injuries in the 2nd half.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/austin-hays-takes-a-look-at-his-2022-season

The kind of guy that would gut out injuries and keep playing is unlikely the kind of guy that would use those injuries as an excuse for diminished performance.

• Upvote 1