Austin Hays 2022

Ohfan67

They said on the broadcast tonight that he’s pretty much entering 5 tool player status. Except that he doesn’t steal a lot of bases, despite that he’s a good base runner overall. 

He is putting together a fantastic year. The homer tonight was one of the longest I’ve ever seen at OPACY. 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What a blast by Hays tonight — 464 feet into the second deck in left field, and in the rain, no less.   Just crushed.  

Oh, and he also had an RBI double, alertly advancing to 3B on the throw home, and then scored on a very shallow fly out to a RF with a very good arm.  

The thing I really love about Hays is he enjoys the game.   When he does something good, he’s grinning from ear to ear.  It seems like his uniform is dirty after every game too.

Elias said during his in-game interview that he considers Hays to have an 80 arm on the 80 scale.  That might have been a bit of hyperbole, but not by much.  

He's scrappy and I love him. Plus with that nutty haircut, with his helmet off in the dugout, he looks like a very young Gene Hackman. 

• Upvote 1

A few years ago I heard a minor leaguer state that Hays was unquestionably the best player he’d ever been on the field with.  That always stuck with me and made me think Hays could be more than just a guy.  I cannot remember the guys name, but he either played with, or against, Hays at Jacksonville U.  Regardless, Hays has been impressive this year.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

He's scrappy and I love him. Plus with that nutty haircut, with his helmet off in the dugout, he looks like a very young Gene Hackman. 

Ahhh that's a good one. I always thought he looked a little like Matthew Mcconaughey 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NashLumber said:

1 hour ago, PHRESH said:

Ahhh that's a good one. I always thought he looked a little like Matthew Mcconaughey 

My wife says the same. And I can see that. Also the way he smacks his gum, he kind of reminds me of this kid in Fever Pitch. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

What a blast by Hays tonight — 464 feet into the second deck in left field, and in the rain, no less.   Just crushed.  

Oh, and he also had an RBI double, alertly advancing to 3B on the throw home, and then scored on a very shallow fly out to a RF with a very good arm.  

The thing I really love about Hays is he enjoys the game.   When he does something good, he’s grinning from ear to ear.  It seems like his uniform is dirty after every game too.

Elias said during his in-game interview that he considers Hays to have an 80 arm on the 80 scale.  That might have been a bit of hyperbole, but not by much.  

Took some Kids to the game last Friday night.  I’ve seen quite a bit of baseball in my life, and the throw he made from LF (not an out - holding runner at 3rd) was maybe the most incredible throw I’ve ever seen.  It was rising (appearance) the entire way and Rutschman had to jump to catch it.  It was on a line, not a high throw, and it looked like it defied gravity and was going to go over Adley’s head.   He also took time before the game to sign autographs for 7 star struck 10 y/os.  He made some life long fans that evening.   He is an absolute pleasure to watch play in all facets of the game.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

When Hays went flying into home trying to beat the tag around the tag by Contreras I sort of clenched for a moment hoping he wouldn't get hurt. But he's a lot of fun to watch, and one of the most positive dugout presences judging by what we can see (the other, I dare say it, might be Odor). 

I don't know that his arm is quite an 80, but what I think might put him towards the top of the list is that his throws are often extremely accurate.