Means DL, Smith outrighted, welcome back Lakins

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Some of y'all need to stop and think for 2 seconds. Lakins is here to cover the bullpen, they don't need another starter for a good while. But when Means' turn comes up, THEN you might see a guy like Bradish. You wouldn't see that move now because he's of no use to add to the team until his regular turn in the rotation. So you might as well add an extra reliever in the meantime. 

Means will probably be out a good while.At least a month and possibly much longer.

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

Means will probably be out a good while.At least a month and possibly much longer.

Yeah, I didn't say otherwise haha. Just saying a starting pitcher could come up to replace Means on what would be his next turn in the rotation. 

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Understand. Just stating that this is more serious then Means stated on Wednesday  Be good if he makes it back to the majors by June 1st.

We all fully expected that to be the case right?

There wasn't any real shot of Means not going on the IL with how this team handles pitchers even if the injury was minor.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That they err on the side of caution.

WTF you think it means?

Zero chance they let Means go out there and risk reinjury.

Seems you were implying O's are more cautious with the norm. I don't think any team would risk pitching a guy with elbow strain. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems you were implying O's are more cautious with the norm. I don't think any team would risk pitching a guy with elbow strain. 

He was implying that, and they are.   He said that we all expected him to go on the IL, given the Orioles cautiousness.

I see nothing controversial about his statement.   I certainly expected him to go on the IL.

48 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Starters, relievers, they are all interchangable.   Lakins is on the team now, if he only relieves, then we'll either bring someone else up to start Tuesday or else we'll go with someone currently in the pen (AWells, Baumann, Akin, or a piggyback of 2 guys).

Lakins was probably the freshest arm available.

I wouldn't be shocked if Baumann gets a few starts (piggyback or otherwise).

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

How can you not love a rotation fronted by Lyles, Watkins and Lakins?

We can turn our TVs off until Bradish, Rodriguez and Hall begin to filter up through the system.  This team will be totally unwatchable until then.  And, I've been an optimist until now.

Who's the ace? 🤣

• Haha 1

Awful news. Elias failed us this off-season by not getting us any number of veterans stop gaps. Just absolutely appalling and dereliction of duty. 

O's mgr Brandon Hyde: “We don’t have much experience in our rotation. We’ll see how long it’s going to be. But it’s going to be hard. Do need guys to step up. John’s one of the guys that people look up to on our staff. To have him out is challenging."

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

He was implying that, and they are.   He said that we all expected him to go on the IL, given the Orioles cautiousness.

I see nothing controversial about his statement.   I certainly expected him to go on the IL.

Yes - for sure.  What I thought ironic was Hyde's statement just prior to Means' start.  He was asked if he would have pulled Means if he had gone 7 hitless, perfect innings on 80 pitches (like Kershaw).  He answered, Absofriggin luteley NOT.  Then Means has a booboo to his forearm and he pulls him.  I am not saying that he shouldn't have pulled him.  I'm just laughing at the false bravado.

• Like 1