The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

The funny part is, the quote about loving to play for the O's quote is a couple of years old. Unless he reiterated it again recently.

It is easy to read too much into these things but Ravech apparently decided what he had was new, credible and real enough to give an update...the Tex quote was relayed as a 'what is now emerging'...and it would have been relayed by Boras, Tex or the O's and the first time there has been an official link between the direction of the negotations and interest in the O's. Maybe this has always been the case and never changed as Sports Guy said 2 years ago but interesting that few in the MEDIA have given it much credence until now...also interesting and at times frustrating how the local media has struggled to make any real link and offer much optimism on Tex coming here. This will be a win on so many fronts not least of which will be a major face restoring move by this team.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the fact that ESPN is FINALLY giving the Orioles a chance to sign Teixeira. I've really lost a lot of respect for that network in following these negotiations through the media. I wonder how Gammons, Olney and Rosenthal will spin this to make the Red Sox and Yankees look like winners in this deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3772842&categoryId=2521705

BTW, this scenario works out perfectly for Boras. He gets Tex to sign with the Orioles (who would NEVER give any other player this type of money) and has the Yankees and Angels in a bidding war for Manny. All I can say is... the poor Red Sox.:laughlol:

PS - I worked on the ESPN commercials that lead in the above story. ;)

The most encouraging thing I've heard today is Mike Scoscia saying, 'We have taken our best shot.'

Like it was already over with.... :D

Agreed. The Angels and Scoscia have basically given up. They are now going to push hard for Manny. (as I've always said ;))

There is no salary cap in MLB. So it is not nearly as necessary to be financially responsible with contracts. Either way, this contract would only put the payroll at 80 mil or so. It was that high before there was MASN and a guaranteed value of the club.

This is totally ridiculous, there's no spending cap in life either. Does that mean I should just spend whatever I want on whatever I want?

I'm sorry if this was posted on the last two pages of the thread, but I was too excited to check. The headline on ESPNs page says "Bird Watching", and says this:

Which team will ultimately sign Mark Teixeira? Karl Ravech says the Teixeira sweepstakes are nearing a conclusion and indications are that the free agent has "an enormous attraction to the Orioles."

Archived