Gunnar Henderson 2022

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't know how many more boxes need to be checked for all of Stowers, Gunnar, Westburg, and Vavra.  Vavra needs to be healthy.  Stowers needs a spot.  It's a hard argument to make that these guys aren't ready other than service clock time.  Service clock wise we're looking at 87 remaining games this year versus 130ish next year.  That's all of 43, 50 games.  The team is competing right now.  The next home stand is time to call them up except for Stowers.  Let's see what we have for a month before the deadline.  I'm not holding our future back because Mateo, and Odor, go to reserve roles.  

It's time for Elias to flip the switch.  

Going by the Grayson Guidelines....

I think they are going to say that Gunnar and Westburg need to prove themselves at a single defensive position before they get called up.

This will mesh nicely with Grayson having to prove he could pitch deep into games while simultaneously not being allowed to pitch deep into games.

This will provide Elias adequate cover from a cowed media and allow him to promote them whenever he deems it most advantageous for the team.

Y'all can decide if I'm joking or not.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Going by the Grayson Guidelines....

I think they are going to say that Gunnar and Westburg need to prove themselves at a single defensive position before they get called up.

This will mesh nicely with Grayson having to prove he could pitch deep into games while simultaneously not being allowed to pitch deep into games.

This will provide Elias adequate cover from a cowed media and allow him to promote them whenever he deems it most advantageous for the team.

Y'all can decide if I'm joking or not.

You have an endless supply of theories.  The law of probabilities says you'll hit on one someday. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You have an endless supply of theories.  The law of probabilities says you'll hit on one someday. 

Even you have to give me Jonah Heim.

And Hobgood.

Oh and I totally called Dan bundling Matusz with a comp pick.  I nailed that one.

I'm not batting .000 here.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even you have to give me Jonah Heim.

And Hobgood.

Oh and I totally called Dan bundling Matusz with a comp pick.  I nailed that one.

I'm not batting .000 here.

I'm not sure the archives even go back that far.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I'm not sure the archives even go back that far.

Figured you'd want to deny me my due credit!

I'm going to be right on some Elias era stuff too.  I'm feeling pretty good about them never spending all this money they've been saving.  And my just sign Gunnar to a 10 year deal and promote him to the majors in 2021 idea looks a lot better now doesn't it?

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to be right on some Elias era stuff too.  I'm feeling pretty good about them never spending all this money they've been saving.  And my just sign Gunnar to a 10 year deal and promote him to the majors in 2021 idea looks a lot better now doesn't it?

The 10 year deal looks good but I'd say Elias's developmental program is looking just fine. We have no idea what the alternate reality looks like where Gunnar is thrown into the majors at age 20. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The 10 year deal looks good but I'd say Elias's developmental program is looking just fine. We have no idea what the alternate reality looks like where Gunnar is thrown into the majors at age 20. 

Considering that a year and a half later folks are calling for him to be in the majors I'm guessing he would have probably not been broken by the experience.

But yea, like EVERY OTHER hypothetical we can't prove anything.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering that a year and a half later folks are calling for him to be in the majors I'm guessing he would have probably not been broken by the experience.

But yea, like EVERY OTHER hypothetical we can't prove anything.

I also doubt broken beyond repair but it may have taken him longer to be successful. He didn't even dominate at A+ that year. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I also doubt broken beyond repair but it may have taken him longer to be successful. He didn't even dominate at A+ that year. 

And that wouldn't really be a problem would it?  If it were true?

It very well might have made him a better ML player in the long run. 

We have no idea what the alternate reality looks like where Gunnar is thrown into the majors at age 20.  😉

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We have no idea what the alternate reality looks like where Gunnar is thrown into the majors at age 20.  😉

Right, we can say that his current program is working. I don't know that we can say the idea to promote him in '21 looks better or worse. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a question: let’s say Gunnar is called up in late August and doesn’t get enough service time or at bats to lose rookie status.   If he’s on the team all next year and finishes in the top 3 for ROY, do we get the extra draft pick?   Or does that only apply to players who debut on Opening Day, not late in the prior season?   I’m guessing he would qualify for draft pick compensation in that scenario, and if so, you might not see him up before mid-August no matter what he does over the next month.  

He would be eligible to earn the team a draft pick if he's kept under 60 days of service time.  There are also requirements to be in the top 100 prospects on some of the qualifying lists.  They aren't contending this year so hopefully they'll be prioritizing what gives them the best opportunity to keep a talent pipeline flowing.  It would be nice going into 2023 with a couple of players who could potentially bring in extra picks (and the associated slot money) to maximize the odds of adding talent to the org.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh? How would any of that be a good idea? We have no idea if Henderson would have improved like has against major league pitching vs the AA and AAA pitches he's been facing. The Orioles have developed Henderson quite well, pushing him when he needed to be pushed but not before he was not ready. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yet you are calling for "credit" by suggesting it was the right thing to do. You can't have it both ways. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Huh? How would any of that be a good idea? We have no idea if Henderson would have improved like has against major league pitching vs the AA and AAA pitches he's been facing. The Orioles have developed Henderson quite well, pushing him when he needed to be pushed but not before he was not ready. 

Because you'd have him locked into a team friendly deal for eight more seasons after this one.

Do you not like long term team friendly deals for young players?