Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s not like Mateo is a LFer. He’s playing a premium defensive position and a position where we have the weakest depth of all. I’d say Mateo is a game changer for our rebuild even if he just is the player he’s been this season. 

Dude, i admire the optimism.  But if he's not Correa with the bat then he's gotta be Correa with the glove to be considered a game changer.

I'm not saying he CAN'T be a game changer but he's gotta be elite somewhere if you're going to slot him into that category.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dude, i admire the optimism.  But if he's not Correa with the bat then he's gotta be Correa with the glove to be considered a game changer.

I'm not saying he CAN'T be a game changer but he's gotta be elite somewhere if you're going to slot him into that category.

I’m talking about game changer for our rebuild. If Mateo can be an average SS then that allows Gunnar to slot into 3B. To me, that’s a game changer. It also probably gets Gunnar here faster. 

That’s a game changer because that takes a lot of pressure off in many different ways. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m talking about game changer for our rebuild. If Mateo can be an average SS then that allows Gunnar to slot into 3B. To me, that’s a game changer. It also probably gets Gunnar here faster. 

That’s a game changer because that takes a lot of pressure off in many different ways. 

Eh, we can agree to disagree again on if he's good enough to stay at SS and move Gunnar to 3rd.  

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.  But for Mateo, I've gotta see it for more than a whole season.  The baseball landscape is full of one year wonders.  He's gotta be performing well in a year from now to really make me a believer.  

Is that a game changer for our rebuild?  To be determined, IMO.  If you consider moving Gunnar to 3rd and having Mateo at SS great, that's fine.  But that's not taking into account if Mayo ascends and is knocking on the door at 3rd.  IMO, Gunnar SS/Mayo 3B is what you want instead of Gunnar 3B/Mateo SS.

Mayo 3B, Gunnar SS, Mateo 2B.  Now I'd be excited about that.

I still think Mateo would be a useful multi-positional player on a good team.  But, to me, that's his likely ceiling.  I enjoy watching him play.  He's exciting.  But, I don't thing that he'll ultimately be better than other options on the horizon as far as potential starters are concerned.  I'd like to see him move around the diamond and outfield and show that he can be solid anywhere they use him.  In that role, he'd get plenty of work and at bats.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Eh, we can agree to disagree again on if he's good enough to stay at SS and move Gunnar to 3rd.  

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't.  But for Mateo, I've gotta see it for more than a whole season.  The baseball landscape is full of one year wonders.  He's gotta be performing well in a year from now to really make me a believer.  

Is that a game changer for our rebuild?  To be determined, IMO.  If you consider moving Gunnar to 3rd and having Mateo at SS great, that's fine.  But that's not taking into account if Mayo ascends and is knocking on the door at 3rd.  IMO, Gunnar SS/Mayo 3B is what you want instead of Gunnar 3B/Mateo SS.

I’m not saying Gunnar can’t play SS. I can just read what the scouting reports say.

It’s looking like Gunnar 3B, Westburg 2B, Mayo 1B. 

As far as Mateo being a one year wonder, I think his defense is only going to stay the same or get better. Especially in the next 1-3 years. 

I don’t get the damper on Mateo. I’m not saying he’s an All Star. I’m saying he’s a nugget, and you can win with a player like him. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If Mayo and Westburg develop, so much the better. All of the above will give us options. Mateo could be traded to a team that needs a SS, Mayo could slide to 1B and Mountcastle could be traded, or Gunnar could be traded for an Ace. If Mateo can continue to hit he will be a valuable player and that gives us options whether he plays SS or not. 

• Upvote 1

Depending on how Cowser and Kjerstad develop, Mayo could end up as a corner outfielder, as well.  In a perfect world, Mayo stays at 3B, Henderson stays at SS, and Mountcastle stays at 1B for the Orioles.  But, the real world isn't always that pretty.  Any of them could bust out, although Mountcastle has enough of a big league record at a fairly young age that I doubt he'd turn into a total bust.

18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've never been a big fan of Mateo. That's based mostly on my view that it's become much harder for a competitive team to get by with a weak-hitting shortstop.

I'm not sure what the threshold for "game changer" is, but I'll say this. At the start of our season, I thought SS was the most glaring weakness on the current team, and Mateo has moved SS even with or behind 2B and 3B in that ranking. I've also moved from believing Mateo had no chance of being with the Orioles after this year (or, if he was, having to conclude that something wasn't going right) to being willing to take a long look at him as a potential keeper at SS or utility and PR. I doubt think that will work out long-range, but it might.

It's probably inconsistent with what I just said, but I'd also like to see Richie Martin get some time with the Orioles later this season.

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I've never been a big fan of Mateo. That's based mostly on my view that it's become much harder for a competitive team to get by with a weak-hitting shortstop.

I'm not sure what the threshold for "game changer" is, but I'll say this. At the start of our season, I thought SS was the most glaring weakness on the current team, and Mateo has moved SS even with or behind 2B and 3B in that ranking. I've also moved from believing Mateo had no chance of being with the Orioles after this year (or, if he was, having to conclude that something wasn't going right) to being willing to take a long look at him as a potential keeper at SS or utility and PR. I doubt think that will work out long-range, but it might.

It's probably inconsistent with what I just said, but I'd also like to see Richie Martin get some time with the Orioles later this season.

I think you can get by with a weak hitting SS (depending on how weak we're talking about here) if the rest of the offense is pretty robust AND the SS has a GG caliber glove.  

I agree, though, I didn't have much hope for him coming into the season but he's done enough to make me want to take a longer look.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think you can get by with a weak hitting SS (depending on how weak we're talking about here) if the rest of the offense is pretty robust AND the SS has a GG caliber glove.  

I agree, though, I didn't have much hope for him coming into the season but he's done enough to make me want to take a longer look.

I like Mateo batting 9th because of the stolen base threat. That’s only going to help the top of the lineup. It’s the 5-8 that is our weak spot right now. 

I think we have something here with Mateo. I don’t think he’s Lou Montanez or Jimmy Paredes. I won’t include Urias because I’m worried the poor results this season could be an oblique or hernia. 

• Upvote 1