Jorge Mateo

RZNJ

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I'm happy to see how the experiment plays out. He's at 0.8 rWAR (0.6 fWAR) which isn't too shabby at this point of the season. Fangraphs has him even with Correa and ahead of Baez and Kiner Falefa. I'm not predicting he will sustain that but I want to see where it goes. Ideally Gunnar or Westburg pan out but it will be nice to have another option. I think Mateo could be an 8 or 9 hitter on a playoff team, especially if they have the top catcher in the game and production from most of the other positions :) 

Glad you see you are aiming high.  How about we just get a better player and move him to a role that is better suited for his skills?  People act like being a bench guy means you suck or something.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Glad you see you are aiming high.  How about we just get a better player and move him to a role that is better suited for his skills?  People act like being a bench guy means you suck or something.  

We don’t have any better options right now and I really don’t want to see Ritchie  Martin get his 8th shot at the role. Play Mateo. Bat him 9th. Let’s see what he’s made of. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who do you have in mind? 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We don’t have any better options right now and I really don’t want to see Ritchie  Martin get his 8th shot at the role. Play Mateo. Bat him 9th. Let’s see what he’s made of. 

Not to mention that if he is slated long term to be the bench guy, getting everyday ABs this year will only help him in the bench roll moving forward.  Not sure what the rush is to push him off SS, we don't have any other options and we didn't sign anyone in the offseason so continuing to talk about is a waste of breath. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s fine..but he’s not a starter.  The goal should be to find better.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The last six games Mateo is hitting .048/.091/.048.  Ouch!  OPS down to .578.   

Going to the games he is trying to pull everything and they keep pitching him outside.Popups and strikeouts .His pitch recognition also doesn't look good.He looks bad on many pitches. He did walk Sunday, so 2 in his last 33 games .

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PHRESH said:

Who do you have in mind? 

I don’t know.  I do feel there is some chance that Henderson or Westburg can stay at SS but I think it’s unlikely.  

DeJong is still a guy I like despite how crappy he has been.  He is basically mirroring Hardy in a lot of ways prior to when we got JJ.  You can also probably get him for next to nothing right now.  

But I would be targeting SS on teams that have depth at the position like TB does, for example.    The player doesn’t have to be an established MLer.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I said keep the experiment going in response to your blanket statement that he is not a starter. The fact is he has been as good or better than many starting SS's even on playoff teams. I have no idea whether or not that will continue but he's been good enough to see where it goes. I would of course support upgrading if SS ends up being our only hole. 

Mateo has shown enough flashes that he should stay there for now. It's unlikely he's a long-term solution but you never know and, even though they're playing better, this is still rebuild mode. 

Sure, he looks terrible right now.  He's swinging at pitches way out of the zone worse than usual.   Still, he's a talented player who we have nothing to lose by giving him a chance to figure it out as the season unfolds.   I do believe that either Henderson or Westburg can stick at SS although I don't know which configuration the Orioles prefer if both are on the field together.   I haven't looked at Paul DeJong's last 2 years.   I'm not totally against something like that depending on the cost.   The problem with DeJong is the 6M this year and the 9M guaranteed next year plus a 2M buyout to get out of the last 2 years of his contract.    St. Louis would have to release him to put him into the J.J. Hardy reclamation bin.