ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

Hello Hangout. My name is Glorydays. I have been mostly MIA for the past couple of weeks. Here are my thoughts...

1 - The opt out clause is an excellent indicator that things are progressing in the O's favor. He doesn't get this with Boston or NYY and probably doesn't even ask.

Haha... why in the world would be probably not ask? I would say its 99.99% certain Boras asked.

Whether he had even the slightest hope it might be given is another story...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, I think we generally agree then.

Opt out in year 3 = bad. Opt out in year 5 = good. Opt out in year 4 = ???

Did you see the contract I proposed a few pages back. It had a significant signing bonus, but was then heavily backloaded and include an opt out after year 5. What would you think of that type of deal?

I just flipped back and looked at it... While it's still too much money and way too many years to tie up for a player of Teix's caliber if he didn't take the out option I think that would be a great structure if 9/180 is what was required and I had no choice but to sign him.

But again, I'd be suprised if Boras would be willing to put the out-option that far out. It just doesn't make a lot of sense from Boras' perspective IMO.

Haha... why in the world would be probably not ask? I would say its 99.99% certain Boras asked.

Whether he had even the slightest hope it might be given is another story...

Yes - He may have asked but as you said it was done with little to no hope that it would be given. However - it makes perfect sense to include it in an O's or Nats contract.

But But...Peter Gammons said that it's the Red Socks and the Gnats???? then again he never once mentioned the O's...He does know that they exist right?

If we sign Tex, we can mock Gammons, Olney and the rest 'till the cows come home. Until then, just say your prayers.

This clearly isn't happening today.

I'll make a wager that it gets announced tomorrow - O's or Red Sox.

Sadly Red Sox, no way the Orioles offer up the money or the right opt out clause that will get it done. Plus Boras wants Tex to sign with the Red Sox, say what you want about it being the Tex's choice, when it comes to Boras it really isn't.

Sadly Red Sox, no way the Orioles offer up the money or the right opt out clause that will get it done. Plus Boras wants Tex to sign with the Red Sox, say what you want about it being the Tex's choice, when it comes to Boras it really isn't.

Last I check boras works for the player not the other way around.

What would you prefer they do? Make less money? Refuse pay raises? Would you ever do that?

I'm talking about the principle. If you think it's good for the game, then good for you.

It will continue to get more and more out of hand with these little creative clauses and things that Boras will work into his players contracts. All the leverage is with the talent.

Last I check boras works for the player not the other way around.

Thats how its suppose to work, but with Boras a lot of the times its the other way around. We shall see, hope I am wrong and I hope the Orioles step up for the first time in 11 years and get something productive done.

If we sign Tex, we can mock Gammons, Olney and the rest 'till the cows come home. Until then, just say your prayers.

Exactly, Frobby. As Yogi Berra said..."It ain't over, 'til it's over". I'll believe that Tex is an O the day of the press conference announcing it and not a moment sooner.

Boras don't care where he signs, as long as it is the place offering the most money.

Uhhh...CC has an opt out clause. They would give in to one if Boras asked for it.

CC's opt out is a different situation...The Yankees would be lucky for him to leave after 3 years...They may win a WS within the next 3 years and then, if he leaves, so be it.

Remember, he didn't really want to go to NY, so the opt out is there in case he is unhappy.

Archived